Speed test

drcool
Level 3

Hello, can someone please explain to me why, when doing a speed test on my pc, it travels from TPG Internet Pty Ltd to iiNet 114.30.110.95?   My speed downloads are nothing like TPG claim I should be getting on the 100 Superfast plan. I did a test on my work laptop using the same test site (TPG) and instead it went to my employers name instead of iiNet and the speed was triple my desktop pc speed and off the scale!!

5 REPLIES 5
Shane

Hi @drcool ,

Welcome to the community!

I would love to help, please correct me if I am wrong, when you ran a speed test the result shows you are connected to iiNET?

If so, the speed tests find servers from many providers not specifically your ISP, so it could be TPG, iiNet, Telstra, Optus or many others. Usually it will choose the closest server to your location, in your case it would appear iiNet although no longer your ISP is the closest server for it to test from.

Please see this link for more information, https://help.speedtest.net/hc/en-us/articles/360038679834-How-does-Speedtest-select-a-server-.

We'd like to confirm what speed you are getting with the service, can you post a screen shot of the test result to better understand the situation.

Regards,

drcool
Level 3

Hi Shane, thanks for your response. I actually had a TPG technician come to my house yesterday to test my equipment after calling them on Saturday so I cannot complain about their service in that regard. The technician did speed tests on his laptop linked direct to my modem and got scores in the 80's whereas my desktop still scored only 50-60 at the same time. He concluded that it must be my pc that is not up to standard. He did disconnect an unused alarm wire while here and that seemed to improve things for both him and me, in fact when he ran another test on his laptop his description was "wow". I think it surprised him. I have just run another speed test now and the result is below. When I was doing the tests yesterday it was sending to iiNet but this morning and today it has been going to TPG (see attachment). Unfortunately I didn't realise to look yesterday where the technician's laptop was going to. I will keep monitoring but the bottom line is TPG claim that they are not at fault and will not do anything more for me.  Thanks for your interest. Dean

Shane

Hi @drcool,

Thanks for the clarification and additional details. I would like to know if your PC is connected via Wi-Fi as you mentioned that the technician tested the connection speed while the laptop is connected directly to the modem. If you're using a Wi-Fi on PC, I recommend to run a speed test using a LAN/Ethernet cable to get the actual speed of the service.

Note: Devices connected by Wi-Fi may experience slower speeds than those connected by Ethernet cable.

Regards,

Hi Shane, thanks for your response. I actually had a TPG technician come to my house yesterday to test my equipment after calling them on Saturday so I cannot complain about their service in that regard. The technician did speed tests on his laptop linked direct to my modem and got scores in the 80's whereas my desktop still scored only 50-60 at the same time. He concluded that it must be my pc that is not up to standard. He did disconnect an unused alarm wire while here and that seemed to improve things for both him and me, in fact when he ran another test on his laptop his description was "wow". I think it surprised him. I have just run another speed test now and the result is below. When I was doing the tests yesterday it was sending to iiNet but this morning and today it has been going to TPG (see attachment). Unfortunately I didn't realise to look yesterday where the technician's laptop was going to. I will keep monitoring but the bottom line is TPG claim that they are not at fault and will not do anything more for me.  Thanks for your interest. Dean

drcool
Level 3

Yes, the technician connected his laptop via ethernet cable to the modem and my pc also is connected via ethernet cable to the modem.

Riezl

Hi @drcool, are you able to send us your TPG account details so we can look into this further? To send a PM, please refer to this link:  How do I private message (PM) in the community