TPG Community

Get online support

Xbox live game downloads slower than dial up speeds.

mreid954
Level 3

My NBN runs at around 40mbps for general browsing and usage whihc is fine. However when I download a game on Xbox live it downloads at a speed of 500kbps to 2mbps. Yes, KBPS.... I do a speed test and it comes back around 40mbps yet I watch the xbox download at 500kbps. I have 2 xbox's and 3 TV's. I have tried both Xbox's on all 3 TV's and always have the same outcome. Slow as heck and not acceptable. I never had any of these problems with my previous provider. I even went out and spent $200 on a netgear modem thinking it was the stock TPG modeme that was the problem but the speeds are much the same. 

Why is this happening?

10 REPLIES 10
Funkay123
Level 3
I just posted this in another thread (https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Modems-and-Devices/Slow-and-inconsistent-speeds-on-xbox-one-download...), but relevant to this one too:

I’ve got the exact same problem. Everything else runs at full speed, except Xbox downloads.

If I connect my Xbox to my mobile hotspot, it downloads at full 4G speed. Faster than my 100/40 TPG NBN connection. So doesn’t seem like a console issue.

Are Xbox downloads being shaped? Multiplayer / response times, Netflix streaming, etc all work fine on the Xbox.
Hefffo
Level 2

I am also suffering with the same issue. Has anyone found a solution? 

Funkay123
Level 3
I’m still googling trying to find a fix.
joraldohoraldo
Level 2

I had the same - it's being specifically throttled by TPG. If you were to use a VPN you would bypass the problem. You will find guides on how to achieve that for Xbox One.

Funkay123
Level 3
Yup. It’s being throttled. Using VPN I get much faster speed. Hardly practical though, restricts NAT, increases response times, need to run it through a PC, etc.

This is now no longer the service I was paying for when I originally signed up to TPG. Can they just limit my service in this way? It’s crippled what is a primary use of my service.
vanillafrog
Level 2

How do we go about taking this further?

Does anyone think the ACCC will help? Sureley this can't be legal. Its not like they are telling everyone that signs up that certain services will be unavailable, or borderline useless on their service. They sign you up to a contract and you cant go elsewhere.

TheDude68
Level 2

Hi All

I know you guys may think it's being throttled or shapped but I don't think it is. That was the first question I asked of their Engineers when I got the problem. Thay said No to both

As stated in my previous message it is a server in the server center that is the problem.

If you know how to do a tracert from a command prompt on a PC to "assets1.xboxlive.com" you will find one server is timing out and is probably the cause of the issue.

If you guys want to try this tracert and don't know how to do one. Reply to this message and I will post instructions.

TheDude68
Level 2

Bugger

I had a message I edited and now have lost about this problem.

Anyway to sum it up as it was long.

I am pretty sure I have the solution to this. I have had this problem for over a month.

I have sent screenshots of trace routes to "assets.xboxlive.com" that show a AAPT server is the issue. AAPT and TPG are the same company from my investigation. I have sent 5 messages in the past 3 days but it look like due to the COVIC-19 changes no-one is checking the helpdesk@tpg.com.au or techops@tpg.com.au support accounts. I have a Support Ticket No: 59111187 regarding this and have already spent a ridiculous amount of time on this with TPG and even working with Microsoft Engineers to get this resolved. TPG have also spent a lot of time on this but up until 3days ago I didn't know what server the Xbox was trying to get to.

With this information I have been able to find a problem in testing. But surely TPG has had this problem logged by all of you also and is seeing a patern and should have followed this up further. They are very much to blame also for not putting 2 and 2 together.

Anyway when someone finally sees my messages and the data I have provided I hope the problem will be fixed. As I am sure I am on the right track.

NJR
Level 2
Level 2
I also have the same problem.
Slow downloads and everyday nbn drops out for 4 hours between 1 and 4pm!!
So bad. Tpg continues to claim that there are no issues but clearly there is!