TPG Community

Get online support

DNS Server not responding

Ausso
Level 2

Hello. This issue started to happen when we switched our plan to TPG. When trying to use applications that required you to connect to the internet, like games and websites, they always just stopped loading midway through, or completely disconnect. During this I troubleshoot the network and always recieve "your computer is correctly configured, but the DNS server is not responding." This also happens when trying to download things. I have done as much as I could on the computer to solve this, such as changing the dns server, flushing dns in the command prompt, resetting the router every way possible, turning off specific setting that could have caused it, and still, nothing has changed. I connect wirelessly and the modems a decent way away from the computer. But even before switching, everthing worked fine. I'm on a Windows PC. 

8 REPLIES 8
david64
Level 15

Hi @Ausso . What model wifi router were you using with previous provider?
When you changed to TPG, did you continue with that one or change to a TPG one?

If you changed, the wifi power of the TPG one might be less than other one.

Are you using the 2.4GHz or 5GHz for your PC? The 2.4GHz has greater range.
What signal strength and wifi connection speed do you get on PC? In the properties of the wifi icon in task bar.

You can use the following command on pc to check for surrounding wifi networks. It shows signal strength and channel used by each network. You might be getting interference from them.

netsh wlan show all

Ausso
Level 2

We have a Telstra modem that we have been using since we installed internet here, about 5, 6 years ago. We began with an NBN plan. I use the 5GHz connection on this computer. Since I have updated network drivers, weirdly the signal percentage of the wifi is at 100%, 5 bars, which is not accurate. It usually displays 2 bars. The connection speed displayed is 866.5 Mbps recieve, and 175.5 Mbps transmit. 

david64
Level 15

@Ausso . What were the results of the  netsh  command? Are there other networks with high signal strength and same channel that could be interfering?

Do you have same problem when PC is next to router?

If netsh shows all networks at 100%, there's something wrong with the PC.

Are you able to use the PC on 2.4GHz band? Use channel 1 or 6 or 11.

What DNS do you use? When it's all working, do ping to the DNS .

When problem occurs, repeat the ping.

What do you do to recover from problem? Or, does it just fix itself?

When you have problem on PC, what happens with other wifi devices (phone/tablet)?

Ausso
Level 2

I am unsure of other signals that could be interfering. I installed Netspot which can give me that information, but no other networks nearby were listed, so I think thats not the reason.

The PC has stayed in the same place away from the modem, we have not moved the pc any closer.

For some reason, my 2.4GHz network does not display on PC, only on mobile/laptops other devices. It displayed before, but i'm unsure how it de-listed itself. This issue only happens on my PC, the connection is perfect on other devices. 

When I troubleshoot and recieve the message, the network disconnects. Usually I have to manually reconnect as it does not automatically reconnect, even though it is ticked off. Very rarley, it also says it "Can't connect to the network" when it disconnects due to the same issue. 

I am currently using Cloudfire DNS 1.1.1.1. When the issue happens again, I will ping the dns in the command prompt and see if anything happens. 

david64
Level 15

@Ausso . When you ping Cloudfare DNS, ping the router's LAN ip address also.

Do you have another wifi computer? When problem occurs on your pc, the other one is still ok?

Do same ping commands on good computer.

888Mikey
Level 3
We are using the 5g modem and started playing up doing the exact same thing about month ago also. Usually turning it on and off would fix it but then it wouldn't and then I factory reset the modem which fixed it a couple of times but now neither fix it. Waiting for tpg network engineer to call me back tomorrow...

You can use a VPN as a work around and everything will work.

If you have an NBN modem you can change the DNS settings in it to GOOGLE'S 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

Unfortunately the tpg 5g modem doesn't allow you to manually change it.
david64
Level 15

Hi @888Mikey . You mention about wanting to change the DNS settings on Sagemcom. Can you try this suggestion from another user.

Sagecom is preconfigured with DNS server settings in the Internet Conenctivity area, and no way I can change them. It is on a Basic tab, but there is no option for any other kind of tab(eg. an Advanced tab??)

But I went into the My Sagecom Box config settings and set up my own DNS server values, and set them to the values readily found for TPG, which are 203.12.160.35(Primary) and 203.12.160.36(Secondary).

OR, whatever DNS you wish to use.

888Mikey
Level 3
Not the 5g modem you cannot change it.