TPG Community

Get online support

EasyMesh for VX220-G2v

rhrk83
Level 2

Hi there,

I contacted TP-Link to enquire whether EasyMesh will be included in firmware update for VX220-G2v, which I just recently purchased from TPG. They suggested to contact TPG as the modem router is a ISP model. TP-Link also couldn't provide an answer for VX22-G2v's compatibility for EasyMesh. So I rang TPG again and I was told that TPG does not perform firmware update as this is an end user issue and I would have to contact TP-Link again since it is their product. 

So I contacted TP-Link again the second time and they said I couldn't help me and I would have to contact TPG for all settings, changes, firmware and problems. My questions are:

1. Who is responsible to provide firmware update? There's no firmware update available on TP-Link website. 

2. At this stage, am I looking at purchasing a new modem router that supports EasyMesh? It seems like no one, both TP-Link and TPG, can provide me an answer.

Thank you.

10 REPLIES 10
BasilDV

Hi @rhrk83 

The TPG provided modem/router has a special firmware that is made for our service.

Any access point or Mesh network should be able to work with the TPG device as long as you configured them correctly.

What model of Mesh device do you consider to get for your TP-Link modem/router?

BasilDV

rhrk83
Level 2

Hi @BasilDV,

Thanks for your reply.

So does that mean TPG will be providing the firmware update if there's one avaiable?

At this stage I'm looking at either TP-Link's RE900XD, RE815XE, RE705X or RE700X. However on TP-Link's website, it's shown as "Planned" firmware update and it it not a guarantee. So possibly will be looking at other brand that supports EasyMesh.  

BasilDV

The firmware update that will be provided is to make sure that the modem/router will perform well with our service.

They are all range extenders or access points, so it may work with your TPG device as long as you've configured them correctly.

If you are considering to upgrade the modem/router, that will be fine, but if you are under the NBN bundled with VoIP service, then the VoIP will not work.

BasilDV

rhrk83
Level 2

@BasilDV wrote:

The firmware update that will be provided is to make sure that the modem/router will perform well with our service.

They are all range extenders or access points, so it may work with your TPG device as long as you've configured them correctly.

If you are considering to upgrade the modem/router, that will be fine, but if you are under the NBN bundled with VoIP service, then the VoIP will not work.

BasilDV

Thanks @BasilDV . Just want to get a range extender that will work well with modem router provided by TPG, want to get something that has mesh function that won't cut off and reconnect when walking around the house.

rhrk83
Level 2

Hi again @BasilDV ,

I logged in to the router's settings and of course can't see the EasyMesh tab, like the one shown in the file attached. Just wondering if TPG will be including this in future firmware update. As mentioned in my post, I'd like to get a wifi extender with mesh function, so that my device won't cut off and reconnect while walking around the house.

Shane

Hi @rhrk83 ,

TPG loads it's custom firmware on our NBN modem/router so that it can match with the system we use to provide you with TPG NBN internet and homephone. This is also done for added security and privacy of the connection. At this moment we cannot guarantee if this feature will be added on the future firmware updates.

Regards,

Hi again @BasilDV ,

I logged in to the router's settings and of course can't see the EasyMesh tab, like the one shown in the file attached. Just wondering if TPG will be including this in future firmware update. As mentioned in my post, I'd like to get a wifi extender with mesh function, so that my device won't cut off and reconnect while walking around the house.

rhlovett
Level 2

Hello, is there an update on this?  I have the same query - I would like to upgrade the firmware on the supplied router (VX220-G2V) to support EasyMesh.  This would be the easiest option to seamlessly extend WiFi coverage in my house.  Is EasyMesh functionality included in current/planned TPG uprades to the firmware?  Thank you

Ahra_G

Hi @rhlovett,

Could you please confirm what type of NBN service you have? Also, are you able to check or post here your modem's firmware version so we can check if it's the latest? 

-Ahra_G

rhlovett
Level 2

Hello, we have fibre to the premises (Home Ultrafast). 

Firmware version:    2.0.0 0.9 v603c.0 Build 220517 Rel.49186n

Hardware version:  VX220-G2v v2.0 00000000