TPG Community

Get online support

Nokia 6.1 Emergency calls

harlandg
Level 2

Some time ago I received a message from TPG to say that with the closing of the 3G network my Nokia 6.1 would not be able to make emergency calls due to "the manufacturer's decision not to contiue software updates to enable VoLTE emergency calls" and that I should contact the manufacture. I did that, and they said that I should contact the network provider. To make matters more complicated, in the same message from TPG there is a list of compatible phones and the Nokia 6.1 which I have is on the list. Also there is a small VoLTE icon on the top of my screen. It has been reported that you should not dial 000 to see if it works or not. Any information would be appreciated

4 REPLIES 4
Ahra_G

Hi @harlandg,

Are you still able to utilise your SMS and make/receive phone calls? 

-Ahra_G

harlandg
Level 2

Everything on the phone works fine. I am concerned about the 000 capability as there have been news items about some phones losing the cabability of making 000 calls and I might only find out when there is an emergency. What really confuses me is that I heard or saw a report that some phones, although they show a 4G signal, when dialing 000, uses VoLTE, but then uses 3G to execute the call. So when the 3G is turned off, the emergency call will not go through. However I am not 100% if my recollection is correct.

Ahra_G

Please send us a private message along with your TPG mobile number and we'll bring up your account, @harlandg

Wiser
Level 3

Suggestion for TPG and other carriers:

On a more generic note, where there is confusion if a customers phone is able to dial emergency services that only use 3G bands that are being withdrawn, is there an alternate test number other than 000 where customers can dial and a recorded message or reply text message confirms that it is working or not?

Maybe this is something the industry could setup and publicise through the media to allay peoples fears and prevent unncessary calls to 000 to check if it works.