TPG Community

Get online support

5G home broadband network problems (Sagemcom 5866T)

Mark14
Level 3

Help!

My 5G home broadband network has been fine until a week ago when I noticed some serious functionality problems.

1. Gmail and some other google services on Android will not work on WiFi
  2. I cannot click on links from some websites on Android Chrome or the Samsung Android browser, e.g. links on smh.com.au simply time out
  3. Trying to set up Google Nest Hub Gen 2 via my Android Google Home app, I cannot get it to connect properly. It says connected to the Network but it says “cannot connect”
  4. It doesn’t matter what Android device I use (I have tablets and phones).
  5. Importantly, the links and Gmail work fine if I either switch off WiFi on the Android device (so it uses 4g instead) or if I keep the WiFi on and use a VPN. This tells me there’s nothing wrong with the Gmail app or the browser apps, or the websites, or my accounts. It must be the handling in the modem/router?

What I tried to do:

1. I restarted the modem, no change
  2. I factory reset the modem using a paperclip, no change
  3. I turned off all WiFi devices in the house (many) and factory reset the modem, no change

Usually, a factory reset will fix all problems. I am tearing my hair out (I have very little hair) because I can’t see how to fix this problem.

My best guess is the firmware has become corrupted and the DNS handling isn’t working properly. Or some other routing handling in the modem/router.

I’d really like to reinstall the firmware or anything else you suggest! Please can you send me a link for my modem and I’ll try that? The current situation is no good for me.

Thank you,

Mark

2 REPLIES 2
Mark14
Level 3

Another example is the Android podcasting app, Pocketcasts. When I am connected to WiFi on my phone and attempt a refresh, nothing new comes in. But when I turn off WiFi, it picks up new episodes via 4G.

Something is not connecting properly under WiFi. Once I switch to 4G it's fine.

Thanks!

Shane

Hi Mark,

Let us help understand what causing this browsing issues with the 5G home broadband service. Could you shoot us a PM with your details so we can proceed with initial investigation and fix this.

How to send a PM? 

Regards,

Help!

My 5G home broadband network has been fine until a week ago when I noticed some serious functionality problems.

1. Gmail and some other google services on Android will not work on WiFi
  2. I cannot click on links from some websites on Android Chrome or the Samsung Android browser, e.g. links on smh.com.au simply time out
  3. Trying to set up Google Nest Hub Gen 2 via my Android Google Home app, I cannot get it to connect properly. It says connected to the Network but it says “cannot connect”
  4. It doesn’t matter what Android device I use (I have tablets and phones).
  5. Importantly, the links and Gmail work fine if I either switch off WiFi on the Android device (so it uses 4g instead) or if I keep the WiFi on and use a VPN. This tells me there’s nothing wrong with the Gmail app or the browser apps, or the websites, or my accounts. It must be the handling in the modem/router?

What I tried to do:

1. I restarted the modem, no change
  2. I factory reset the modem using a paperclip, no change
  3. I turned off all WiFi devices in the house (many) and factory reset the modem, no change

Usually, a factory reset will fix all problems. I am tearing my hair out (I have very little hair) because I can’t see how to fix this problem.

My best guess is the firmware has become corrupted and the DNS handling isn’t working properly. Or some other routing handling in the modem/router.

I’d really like to reinstall the firmware or anything else you suggest! Please can you send me a link for my modem and I’ll try that? The current situation is no good for me.

Thank you,

Mark