TPG Community

Get online support

5Ghz Wifi Stopped Working

SOLVED Go to solution
harry55
Level 2

Hi,

About a week ago my 5Ghz wi-fi connection stopped working. Whenever I try and connect to it I simply get a message saying that I can't connect.

To try and get this working I've attempted the following:

• Restarting the router
  • Updating the 5Ghz wi-fi password and using that to connect
  • Moving as close to the router as possible to ensure that the signal isn't being blocked
  • Attempting to connect with multiple devices

None of these have worked.

The 2.4Ghz wireless connection still works fine, so I know that it's not a case of the internet completely dropping out - it's just something with the 5Ghz connection. The router is an Archer VR1600v; looking at other posts here it looks like this issue has happened with others of the same model.

Any assistance would be appreciated. Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
BasilDV

Hi @harry55

Aside from changing the WiFI password, did you change the WiFi name/SSID as well?

If not, did you delete or forget the network on your devices? 

If it's done, you may factory reset the modem/router and reconfigure the 5GHz band network again.

Let us know how it goes.

BasilDV

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
BasilDV

Hi @harry55

Aside from changing the WiFI password, did you change the WiFi name/SSID as well?

If not, did you delete or forget the network on your devices? 

If it's done, you may factory reset the modem/router and reconfigure the 5GHz band network again.

Let us know how it goes.

BasilDV

harry55
Level 2

Hi Basil,

Thank you for the assistance - doing a factory reset seems to have fixed the issue.

Rica_R

Thanks for the update @harry55. Glad to hear that it has been resolved. Feel free to reach out if you need further assistance. 

adamjoliver
Level 3
I too am experiencing a similar issue, although with the 5ghz wifi only. I recently had to change my modem (Archer VR1600v) because wifi stopped working altogether. I purchased a TPlink VX220-G2 from TPG. Ever since wifi has been dropping every few days. I’ve turned off band steering to seperate the networks. I can see 5ghz, however not giving out IP address. Switch to 2.4ghz network, all fine. What I’ve found if I change a setting on the 5ghz and save, 5ghz access is restored. I’ve had to do this every few days since I received the modem about three weeks ago.
Rica_R

Hi @adamjoliver,

Since this is a new modem, have you tried changing the wireless channel of the 5Ghz network to have it more stable?

You may refer to this Community Article for Changing wifi channels on your modem:
https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Modems-and-Devices/Wireless-Channel-on-your-modem-what-is-it-and-why...

Regards, 

adamjoliver
Level 3
I’m still experiencing major 5ghz wifi issues. I’ve tried all the steps suggested, setting wireless channels etc but 5ghz still has issues. I’ve raised this a number of times where 5ghz wifi being connected but not obtaining an IP. I’m not happy with this modem, it’s the second one of this type. I want a refund for the cost of this modem and a different compatible modem. This level of service is not okay.