TPG Community

Get online support

A free internet speed boost is coming your way

SOLVED Go to solution
engavo77
Level 2

Hi there.

I received an email from TPG on the 25/2/21 to let me know that I've received a complimentary speed boost for 6 months. From 24/02/2021 to 24/08/2021

It was supposed to begin on the day before I received the email but checking with an online speed tester, I'm still on my NBN 50 speed. and am not even getting the full typical speed, it only clocks at 37 MBs at best

Just wondering if I'll eventually receive this complimentary temporary speed boost.

thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
AlexS
Level 2

Well, this has been all sorted out. After being with Telstra for many years, TPG response to problems is really excellent I must say. Good email communication and follow up via phone by technicians. 

What happened in my case could be typical in many other cases. We have a new house. I specified CAT6 LAN cables laid to what would be rooms with computers from the garage were the modem and router is.

I saw an interesting increase in speed from 50/20 to about 93/23. It should have been 200 Mbps. After TPG tried to sort out the problem without much luck I suddenly had a feeling the problem could be with me and that the cables laid in my house are actually not CAT6 or CAT5e. So I bought a 30m long CAT6 cable, connected the router behind the modem to the computer and there it was : 270/23 !  The cable in the house was not CAT6 but CAT5 ! Someone could obviously not read but that is another topic. So, if some people do not get the expected speed it can have something to do with your hardware. Old computer,  old slow 10 or100Mbps switches or just an old  ( or even damaged) LAN cable.

Very happy with my speed now. Even on WiFi I am hitting over 200 Mbps now.

A shame I cant test the 1000Mbps option. My 50/20 plan does not allow for that. You have to be at least on a 100Mbps plan I think.

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
Shane

Hi @engavo77,

The NBN Speed Gift project is ongoing still and on trial phase and there are some cases that even though they received emails/SMS about the Complimentary Speed boost the speed of the service is still the same. Shoot me a private message with your account details (Username/Customer ID together with the address on file) to better understand the situation.

How do I private message (PM) in the community

Regards,

Hi there.

I received an email from TPG on the 25/2/21 to let me know that I've received a complimentary speed boost for 6 months. From 24/02/2021 to 24/08/2021

It was supposed to begin on the day before I received the email but checking with an online speed tester, I'm still on my NBN 50 speed. and am not even getting the full typical speed, it only clocks at 37 MBs at best

Just wondering if I'll eventually receive this complimentary temporary speed boost.

thanks 

awin2019
Level 2

I also have similar issue

I received an email from TPG on the 05/03/21 to let me know that I've received a complimentary speed boost for 6 months. From 4/03/2021 to 4/09/2021

It was supposed to begin on the day before I received the email but checking with an online speed tester, I'm still on my NBN 50 speed. and am not even getting the full typical speed, it only clocks at 73 MBs at best

I've power cycled all the devices, used cat5e cables between cable modem to VR1600v, and VR1600v to computer, or via wifi 5G, still can't get over 100Mbps

Shane

Hi @awin2019,

Welcome to the community!

Thanks for raising this to us. The NBN Speed Gift project is ongoing still and on trial phase and Typical Evening Speed threshold with the complimentary speed boost range is up to 200mbps, considering that there has been a speed improvement with the service, that the boost has been applied to the service. Our network team is working to align the speed.

Let us know should you require further assistance.

Regards,

I also have similar issue

I received an email from TPG on the 05/03/21 to let me know that I've received a complimentary speed boost for 6 months. From 4/03/2021 to 4/09/2021

It was supposed to begin on the day before I received the email but checking with an online speed tester, I'm still on my NBN 50 speed. and am not even getting the full typical speed, it only clocks at 73 MBs at best

I've power cycled all the devices, used cat5e cables between cable modem to VR1600v, and VR1600v to computer, or via wifi 5G, still can't get over 100Mbps

lichuyang
Level 2

Hi Shane,

I am also a TPG customer with NBN50 living in Melbourne. I did not receive any email regarding to complimentary speed boost for 6 months. I try to private message you but cannot see private message button on your profile page (exactly follow the steps of how to private message). What should I do right now? Thank you.

Shane

Hi @lichuyang,

The NBN Speed Gift project is ongoing still and on trial phase, If you have not yet receive an email about the complementary speed boost, we recommend to wait. You will receive an email from us once it is applied to the service. Let us know should you require further assistance.

Regards,

Hi Shane,

I am also a TPG customer with NBN50 living in Melbourne. I did not receive any email regarding to complimentary speed boost for 6 months. I try to private message you but cannot see private message button on your profile page (exactly follow the steps of how to private message). What should I do right now? Thank you.

AlexS
Level 2

We did get some sort of upgrade. I am on NBN HFC 50/20. Was really looking forward to try the extreme high speeds possible on HFC. The maximum speed we do get is a rather deflating 94/23 on HFC now after the upgrade. That is slower than most people report. Any idea why that could be?

(The computer is hardwired to the router, they are not WiFi speeds)

Shane

Hi @AlexS,

The NBN Speed Gift project is ongoing still and on trial phase. Shoot me a private message with your account details (Username/Customer ID together with the address on file) so we can raise this to our network team to align the speed.

How do I private message (PM) in the community

Regards,

We did get some sort of upgrade. I am on NBN HFC 50/20. Was really looking forward to try the extreme high speeds possible on HFC. The maximum speed we do get is a rather deflating 94/23 on HFC now after the upgrade. That is slower than most people report. Any idea why that could be?

(The computer is hardwired to the router, they are not WiFi speeds)

Woofie
Level 2

I'm still waiting for the speedboost to be applied. I received the email over a month ago, and have make contact on here, but have yet to hear anything

AlexS
Level 2

Well, this has been all sorted out. After being with Telstra for many years, TPG response to problems is really excellent I must say. Good email communication and follow up via phone by technicians. 

What happened in my case could be typical in many other cases. We have a new house. I specified CAT6 LAN cables laid to what would be rooms with computers from the garage were the modem and router is.

I saw an interesting increase in speed from 50/20 to about 93/23. It should have been 200 Mbps. After TPG tried to sort out the problem without much luck I suddenly had a feeling the problem could be with me and that the cables laid in my house are actually not CAT6 or CAT5e. So I bought a 30m long CAT6 cable, connected the router behind the modem to the computer and there it was : 270/23 !  The cable in the house was not CAT6 but CAT5 ! Someone could obviously not read but that is another topic. So, if some people do not get the expected speed it can have something to do with your hardware. Old computer,  old slow 10 or100Mbps switches or just an old  ( or even damaged) LAN cable.

Very happy with my speed now. Even on WiFi I am hitting over 200 Mbps now.

A shame I cant test the 1000Mbps option. My 50/20 plan does not allow for that. You have to be at least on a 100Mbps plan I think.