TPG Community

Get online support

ADSL2+ Speed (Shockingly Bad)

ryanveale
Level 2

Hi there,

Just wondering what others have experienced with TPG ADSL2+ speeds.
I am in East Geelong and am getting between 0.5Mbps and 2.0Mbps (direct ethernet connection). This means that the internet is effectively unusable, and still costing me $60/Month! I have contacted Customer Service, I was told to follow the standard procedures eg. Power Cycling the Router, ending tasks on my PC that were using network, until I was eventually told that the solution to better speeds was to have less devices connected to the router, which at the time of the call and still to this day, I only have one device connected to the router, my PC (phones are running off cellular data, internet is painfully slow). 
 Myself and my partner are both studying full time and need faster speeds to do the basics, eg. watch a lecture, download required software. However this is nearly impossible to do with the speeds we are getting.
If this cant be resolved soon, ill be forced with no option other than to jump ship to a different provider.

I have attached a screenshot of my current speed (one device connected via ethernet) and our distance to the nearest TPG DSLAM. *Please Note 2.0 Mbps is the best speed we have received, and often sits around 1.2Mpbs.Capture.PNG

3 REPLIES 3
Riezl

Hi @ryanveale,

Welcome to TPG Community!

We have located the account using your community details and we were able to check the status of your connection.

We are not detecting any fault on the line or network at the moment that may affect the service. As you may be aware, the actual speeds for ADSL2+ services will vary due to many factors including distance from the local telephone exchange, the quality of the customer's copper phone line, cabling and equipment. Devices connected by Wi-Fi may experience slower speeds than those connected by Ethernet cable.

Considering the factors mentioned above, your distance from the telephone exchange, we're expecting you to get around 2Mbps download and 284Kbps upload speed.

There's no guarantee that there will be more network improvement for ADSL services as all of Australia will be soon connected to the NBN, which uses fibre optic cable and should be faster than the old technology.

We can see that NBN is being progressively rolled out in your area and initial checks suggest that your address will be NBN ready on 21 December 2018, this however is still subject to change depending on NBN Co.

We can submit an NBN Pre-order application for you now that we will monitor and lodge the same day that your address becomes serviceable. This will get you connected in the fastest possible time frame.

To set up a pre-order, simply enter your address directly into our web site and then select the pre-order option that pops up. If you would prefer to speak with a member of our team, we can also arrange a call back for you, just PM us your best contact number and most convenient time to receive a call.

Ddeepak
Level 2
It looks like my wifi is slow but my ethernet connection is good. What might be the cause? Could you help me?
Riezl

Hi @Ddeepak,

Welcome to TPG Community!

We recommend having a read of these community articles, which can help improve the wireless connection speed:

Easy Steps to Improve Wi-Fi Connection In Your Home

https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Featured-Articles/Easy-Steps-to-Improve-Wi-Fi-Connection-In-Your-Hom...

Wireless Channel on your modem - what is it and why should I change it?

https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Featured-Articles/Wireless-Channel-on-your-modem-what-is-it-and-why-...

Wi-Fi troubleshooting steps - No Internet/Connection

https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Featured-Articles/Wi-Fi-troubleshooting-steps-No-Internet-Connection...

For further assistance, please DM us your TPG customer ID, username and address so we can pull up the account and check the status of your connection.

To send a PM, please refer to this link: How do I private message (PM) in the community - TPG Community