TPG Community

Get online support

AP isolation preventing chromecast connection

kenw6422
Level 2
My chromecast will not connect to internet, google have advised following, can anyone assist?

++

check if your router is dual band (broadcasting 2 Wifi signals e.g. 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz). Have them separated the bandwidth of your Wi-Fi network if it is combined.
Make sure to disable the band steering.
Make sure to select channel 11 or 6 for the 2.4Ghz Wifi channel.
For 5Ghz Wifi networks, use Wifi channels 36 to 48.
AP isolation or Access Point isolation should be disabled to allow proper communication of your casting device and Chromecast.
VPN - should be disabled to cast Chromecast
UPnP - should be enabled to discover devices
IGMP - should be enabled to communicate like ap isolation
7 REPLIES 7
david64
Level 15

Hi @kenw6422 . What model wifi router do you have?

Does your phone/tablet show 2 wifi network names from your router? 

The label on the router will show the wifi network names and passwords.

kenw6422
Level 2
Hey David, I called tech support and they advised that the sagem 5g modem not compatible with chromecast with google TV… I’m pretty sure they just can’t be bothered helping me to fix…as initially it did work with the 5g modem, and now once hard reset chromecast it will not work… it connects to modem then shows black screen with spinning black circle and then states can’t connect to internet? … it’s been 48hrs and no luck, transferring back to NBN as over the nightmare that has been 5g wireless for last two days! :-(
rrajagopal
Level 2

@kenw6422 , What was your resolution step? Did you go back to NBN? I have same issue
(google chromecast doesnt work with sagemcom 5g wifi router - TPG Community ) and might have to if this is not resolved.

kenw6422
Level 2
I managed to get it to login and work by connecting to my phone via hotspot for initial set up. Some functionality still not working such as google assistant and screen saver (freezing on one single image). Bit annoying but if I want to use google assistant or have screensaver change images I need to reconnect to my phone hotspot. For the cheaper plan currently putting up with these minor glitches in chromecast.
nicolasoz
Level 2

I noticed the chromcast works fine when it is connected via LAN...

When they say the sagem modem is not compatible it is not true. I was with Vodafone 5G before, tjhey supply exactly the same modem but with different configuration.

Chromecast was working fine!

nicolasoz
Level 2

I finally fixed it, I managed to turn off AP under internet connectivity > Mobile Configuration, see screenshot.

Now I can use my chromecast.

Shane

Hi @kenw6422 

Our supplied Sagemcom modem/router does not have the option to disable AP isolation. 

Another workaround is to use a 3rd party router extension to connect to the SagemCom so you can connect the Chromecast to the Wi-Fi extension.

Regards,

I noticed the chromcast works fine when it is connected via LAN...

When they say the sagem modem is not compatible it is not true. I was with Vodafone 5G before, tjhey supply exactly the same modem but with different configuration.

Chromecast was working fine!