TPG Community

Get online support

google chromecast doesnt work with sagemcom 5g wifi router

kannarakesh05
Level 2

google chromecast is not working since i updated my home network from 4g to 5g wireless broadband, i contacted tpg and did some changes to  sagemcom wifi router configurations. still doesnt work, but the chromecast used to work fine with 4G wireless tp-link router, and same chromecast is still working with 4g network at a different premises, i tried settiing with 3 different devices and 2 different google  chromecasts. during the set up process Home app able to detect the chromecast and connectb but at the end get the message in quotes

" cant see the chromecast on this Wi-Fi network. check that its online and that your phone or tablet is connected to same wi-fi network" 

despite using the same network during set  up process,

i am told by TPG that unfortunately the only router provided for 5G wireless broadband service(sagemcom router) is not compatable with chromecast. is that true?. after spending few days on it, im still not able to fix the issue.

28 REPLIES 28
david64
Level 15

Hi @kannarakesh05 . What changes did you make to Sagemcom wifi configuration?

david64
Level 15

@kannarakesh05 . Regarding the ssid names, did you check that your phone or tablet can connect to both?

Do all devices show up in Sagemcom as being on same ssid?

Do the names have any special characters? Can you try them with just letters and numbers.

Does chromecast and your devices have a function called Wifi Direct enabled?

Do any devices have a connection to chromecast?

kannarakesh05
Level 2
All my other devices are able to connect to both 2gtz and 5 GHz networks.
The ssid names( 5GWIFI2G and 5GWIFI5G ) doesn't have any special characters. The wifi is always on my device(phone).The wifi able to detect and connect to the chromecast everytime I try to set up using the google home app. Only at the the last step I get the message as shown in the screenshot.
I checked in the modem settings that list of all the connected devices to modem different bandwidth, I can see the chromecast and phone are connected to the same either 2Ghz or 5ghz( if I tried to set up with 5ghz).
If I take the chromecast to 4gWireless network with tp-link router premises and set up, its working fine ..
david64
Level 15

@kannarakesh05 . Can you try this as a test.

Do you have a tablet you can connect to the same wifi band as your phone?

Connect both to the same wifi band.

Activate Wi-Fi Direct on each device. Make a connection from one device to the other.

If they can't connect, there is something in the way the Sagemcom operates that prevents the connection.

And probably prevents the Chromecast working.

If you have the old 4G router, can you connect your phone and Chromecast to it (internet connection not needed). Note down the Wireless settings and Advanced Wireless settings:channel and channel width, beacon interval, RTS threshold, DTIM interval, group key update interval (whatever of these items are displayed), and compare with Sagemcom settings.

If you have the old 4G router or some other known good one, you can use it as access point for Chromecast. Use the 2.4GHz band here and disable 5GHz band. Disable 2.4GHz on Sagemcom and use just its 5GHz band.

It would be really nice if TPG said why this doesn't work!

rrajagopal
Level 2
I have the same problem. Did you manage to get this fixed? Strangely enough everything works fine on pixel 5..but no casting on laptop, ipad or my pixel6pro
david64
Level 15

Hi @rrajagopal . Do you have different SSID names for both bands?

Pixel5 works with Chromecast, but laptop, iPad and Pixel6pro don't?

In Sagemcom admin, are all devices on the same band?

rrajagopal
Level 2
Hi @david64,
yes, i have different names for the bands with non default names.
pixel5 works but rest dont detect the device for casting.
Yes, all devices are non same band 5G.

I tried on 2.4G, did a reset of google hub and was able to configure using pix3l6pro but as soon as configuration is complete it no more connects from phone.
david64
Level 15

@rrajagopal . On the ipad and phones, in the wifi settings, is there a Wi-Fi Direct function?

If you activate it on each device, do they see each other?

Can they connect to each other?

rrajagopal
Level 2
@david64,
Dont think ipad has wi-fi direct option. Out of curiosity how does it help if there is? Google home app on the phone can control other devices (smart Bulb, smartplug), unable to connect only to google hub and chromecast tv