TPG Community

Get online support

Archer VR1600v Parental Control

glenaclarke
Level 2

I have spent the better part of two hours, followed all instructions above and yet this feature 100% does not work. Could you please clarify how well it works at your end as I doubt it is working at all.

glenaclarke
Level 2

The only other option would have been to turn guest wifi on and off for the kids to use, but only option is to turn off all wifi as you cant turn off one and leave the other on. In todays times with kids fixed on there phones the battle is real. If i was TPG I would have put more thought into which router to use as these features are very important.

Lyon
Level 2

I have the same problem as you.The same as you experienced.I doubt whether this function can be used.I just want to limit the time my child can use the phone, but it just doesn’t work

saipavankumar
Level 2

Same issue here. I have  been trying to set this up for few months now and it never worked.

Shame on you TPG if you can't get this basic feature not working

nguyen6868
Level 2

If you want to restrict all contents, it's easier to choose the "Whitelist" option and have no keyword added. I found this configuration from another forum: https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/157485.

jchansen
Level 2

I have been trying to use parental controls for months and its not only poorly explained in the manual it does not work. Time is correct and all instructions followed but the devices on the mac addresses still access the internet. If it does in fact work then something is missing from the manual. Do you need to reboot the router or the device being restricted or what. This is very frustrating and I will be calling TPG at my first available time.

Level 2

Anyone here who is using Archer VR1600 V and had success in using Parental Control.

Explored all the options but it doesn't work and internet access works fine

Only option that i am selecting as of now is Device Control using which 100% Access can be turn off or Turned on more like guest control

But very very Poor configuration and setup and thanks to TPG who always refer us to go back to TPLink.

Thanks

Nilesh

helend
Level 2

Finally figure out how to setup ArcherVR1600v with parental control. Post here which might be useful for others.

Follow the same step to setup parental in the instruction. 

* Whitelist mode is working in any types of configuration (might to require reboot the router)

* In blacklist mode, effective time cannot be set as 24 hours. Have to leave some gaps in every day (very strange bugs).

* If any t-link range extension is used in the home, have to make sure your device is blocked from extension using tether app in mobile, i.e. controlled devices have to directly link to router, not extension. 

* ipconfig /flushdns might be used to clear DNS cache in Windows

Shane

Yay! Thanks for the additional tips. Glad to know that you're able to setup the Archer VR1600v's Parental Control.

Finally figure out how to setup ArcherVR1600v with parental control. Post here which might be useful for others.

Follow the same step to setup parental in the instruction. 

* Whitelist mode is working in any types of configuration (might to require reboot the router)

* In blacklist mode, effective time cannot be set as 24 hours. Have to leave some gaps in every day (very strange bugs).

* If any t-link range extension is used in the home, have to make sure your device is blocked from extension using tether app in mobile, i.e. controlled devices have to directly link to router, not extension. 

* ipconfig /flushdns might be used to clear DNS cache in Windows

James7
Level 2

Watched the Todd Sampson episode and freaked myself out. It was pretty easy to set up a block - log into modem as already mentioned, then in Parental controls, add device, set the blocked period, then add the keywords in content restriction (policy=Blacklist).

The 24 hour issue might have been fixed - I've successfully bocked myself (test iphone) from keyword "www.omegle.com" and ive selected 24x7 in the table of available times.

i tested it by switching between mobile data and wifi

> mobile data - everything works

> wifi - Omegle stops working, other sites fine.

My primary school aged kids have wifi tablets only, havnt had to deal with the obvious challenge of them having mobile data myself yet.