TPG Community

Get online support

Archer VR1600v v2 keeps dropping connection

11maryst
Level 2

Why is it that every day now our router drops the internet connection at random, sometimes idling?
It's happened 3 times already today.

Is this a defective unit? If so are you sending me a replacement?

No, I don't use wifi, it's ethernet to my machine and since being sent this modem router for the NBN install with you the archer's wifi has been disabled as the cheap routers you use don't last more than a year as it is.

So what's the go and how else do you explain the modem hanging up the internet connection and after a reboot it being reinstated?

17 REPLIES 17
raonitimo
Level 2

This happened to me today the whole afternoon.

Connection is consistently dropping at least once a day.

But today it was record breaking. I'm impressed about how unstable can a connection like this be.

I used a 4G mobile connection that was more stable.

11maryst
Level 2

I'm sure I'm not the only one and im glad that others are having this issue as it means that it's hardware related rather than the crap that they try and spin off with their level 1 support...

If I don't get an answer about this from them, I'll be dropping them for Aussie Broadband.

I called them the other day only to be on hold for 30mins before having the call drop out.
You leave a request for them to call you back and they make one attempt and don't bother again.

Just crap!

Shane

Hi @11maryst,

Thanks for raising this to us. We're sad to know that you experience connection dropouts with the service. Based on your given information there is a possibility that the issue is caused by a line fault or a faulty modem/router.

To better understand the situation, send me your account details (Username/Customer ID together with the address on file) and we'll have this checked. 

In case you need a reference: How do I private message (PM) in the community

Regards, 

Shane

Hi @raonitimo,

We're sad to know that you're also having issues with the service. Send me your account details so we can make initial investigation with the connection.

For your reference:

How do I private message (PM) in the community.

Cheers!

11maryst
Level 2

Email sent.

Considering many others specify the same issues, I'd be quite adamant that our problems are due to faulty hardware, considering that if it was a line issue, i'd ask how when no technician has set foot into our premises. Also, why am I able to reconnect straight away with a reboot of the modem every time?
If it were line issues I doubt that would be possible.

The issue here is a modem that is unable to re-establish a connection drop which is more than likely self induced. A bloody nuisance.
Been on ADSL with TPG for years without any issues, forced onto NBN and the issues start, albeit with no chance to have a static IP either.
Really not happy with a provider not being able to provide.

BasilDV

Thanks for sending your account details @11maryst.

We'll arrange a call from our Tech team tomorrow between 10AM - 12NN to check on the device further.

BasilDV

raonitimo
Level 2
Customer ID: 6807274
Shane

Thanks for sending us your details @raonitimo.

We're able to locate the account and ran an initial test to the service it shows multiple dropouts affecting the service. We'd like to arrange one of our Technicians for real-time test and investigation. Please PM us your best contact number and preferred time.

For reference:

How do I private message (PM) in the community.

Regards, 

Cato
Level 2

For what it's worth, if you have a standard Windows desktop PC that you can access, a cheap add-in network adaptor card will fix the Ethernet connection issues. (Not WiFi issues). A TG-3468 TP-Link PCI Network Adaptor card can be purchased for around $18.00 from many computer parts suppliers.  As long as you have a spare PCI-E slot in the computer it can be plugged-in.  Note: these network cards come in Versions or Revisions: 1, 2, 3, & 4. If you are running Windows10, you require the later Versions 3 or 4. Version 3 seems to work fine on Windows10. I find this network adaptor seems to have more current, updated standards than the older built-in (Motherboard) network adaptors and doesn't tend to go to sleep or drop the Ethernet connection. Windows10 should automatically find the new card and install it. It may require a couple of re-boots. Also note that if the computer is dropping the Ethernet connection on your old Network adaptor, it will not automatically switch-over to WiFi if the Ethernet plug is still plugged-in. It needs to be removed to switch-over to WiFi as the Ethernet is still trying to connect.