TPG Community

Get online support

Can receive emails but cannot send them

SOLVED Go to solution
michael5
Level 3

Since moving from TPG NBN to TPG Broadband I can no longer send emails from Outlook but I can still receive them.  If I use a mobile phone hotspot I can send the emails but I also need to be able to send them by using the TPG service.  I could previously send the emails with the previous TPG NBN service.

How can I fix this?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
david64
Level 15

@michael5 . I don't see why Outlook would fail with home wireless broadband. You can try turning on logging in Outlook for greater detail. There are Microsoft articles describing logging and location of logging files. The SMTP file will have the actions when connecting to the mail server.

You can also try using telnet command to connect to mail server. (Port 587 is alternate to port 25.)

telnet 27.32.32.11 25

Reply: 220 mail.tpg.com.au ESMTP mail service ready
HELO abcd
Reply: 250 rpt-cro-mail03.tpgi.com.au Hello ................, pleased to meet you
QUIT
Reply: 221 2.0.0 rpt-cro-mail03.tpgi.com.au closing connection

Is the email address in the error window a TPG one?

View solution in original post

michael5
Level 3

David thanks for that you are a genius.  Changing the port as you suggested has fixed the issue so I can now send emails.  But unfortunately I saw your solution too late.   I had spoken to TPG about this today and after being transferred to three separate people at TPG, none of them suggested any solution to fix the problem and so I had them switch me back to NBN which has now been completed and ready to go.   The current broadband service runs out at the end of the month and the NBN is now active as well. 

Anyway thanks David, much appreciated. I hope your solution will help other users who are experiencing the same problem.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
david64
Level 15

Hi @michael5 . You might be having the same problem as me; mail not being sent.

I sent this to postmaster:

Mail server slow to respond. Mail server mail.tpg.com.au is taking too long to respond when sending mail using mail client (SMTP). Happens with Thunderbird, Outlook, Windows Live Mail.
There are threads in Community today at 11:52 am, 3:39 pm, 4:11 pm, 8:01 pm.
Looks like it accepts emails only one every 5 minutes. After waiting 5 minutes, a test mail is sent within 2 seconds.
At the SMTP level, client connects to mail server, receives 220 response, sends HELO command, gets the TCPIP ACK response, but not the 250 server response. Client times out after one minute.

And received this:

Our system engineers are now looking into this matter.
We will get back to you once we have an update from them.

david64
Level 15

@michael5 .  Sending emails seems to be fixed now. Emails being sent immediately.

michael5
Level 3

Hi David

Thanks for your reply however I can still not send emails and think mine must be a different issue.

About a month ago TPG offered me a deal to switch from TPG NBN to TPG Broadband which seems to be what may have caused the problem (not being able to send emails).  I will talk to TPG about switching back to the NBN and hopefully that will fix the issue.

david64
Level 15

@michael5 . I don't see why Outlook would fail with home wireless broadband. You can try turning on logging in Outlook for greater detail. There are Microsoft articles describing logging and location of logging files. The SMTP file will have the actions when connecting to the mail server.

You can also try using telnet command to connect to mail server. (Port 587 is alternate to port 25.)

telnet 27.32.32.11 25

Reply: 220 mail.tpg.com.au ESMTP mail service ready
HELO abcd
Reply: 250 rpt-cro-mail03.tpgi.com.au Hello ................, pleased to meet you
QUIT
Reply: 221 2.0.0 rpt-cro-mail03.tpgi.com.au closing connection

Is the email address in the error window a TPG one?

michael5
Level 3

David thanks for that you are a genius.  Changing the port as you suggested has fixed the issue so I can now send emails.  But unfortunately I saw your solution too late.   I had spoken to TPG about this today and after being transferred to three separate people at TPG, none of them suggested any solution to fix the problem and so I had them switch me back to NBN which has now been completed and ready to go.   The current broadband service runs out at the end of the month and the NBN is now active as well. 

Anyway thanks David, much appreciated. I hope your solution will help other users who are experiencing the same problem.

apogosso
Level 2

Telnet command does not seem to work on Windows 10:

I am getting the following message from Command Prompt:

-----------------

C:\Users\Alex>telnet 27.32.32.11 25
'telnet' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

-----------------

So still can not send emails via mome Wireless. Wired NBN is OK. weird.

Alex

david64
Level 15

@apogosso . Did you change the outgoing port (SMTP) to 587 in email client? Set Security to NONE or STARTTLS. This will work on Home Wireless and cabled NBN.

How to Enable Telnet on Windows 10?
  1. Open the Programs and Features options in Control Panel:
  2. Click the Turn Windows features on or off setting:
  3. Locate the Telnet Client option on the list, select it and click OK to install the feature:
  4. When Windows completes the requested change, click Close.
apogosso
Level 2

Hello, David,

1. Installed telnet as instructed.

2. Changed port to 587. (The only difference was that telnet replied "connection lost" instead of "connection closed".

3. In Thunderbird changed port to 587 too.

4. "No security" has already been selected.

Now IT WORKS on both NBN and Home Wireless.

Thanks David!

Regards, Alex