TPG Community

Get online support

Chromecast can't connect to 5g wifi

ssduncomb
Level 2
After switching from NBN to 5g wifi, none of my Chromecast will connect. I see this is a big issue, but there is no clear answer.
5 REPLIES 5
Shane

Hi @ssduncomb ,

Chromecast will not work to TPG 5G home broadband as it uses CG-NAT. Carrier-grade NAT (Network Address Translation) is a type of network that assigns services with a private IP address, instead of a dynamic public IP address. 

If you wish to utilise the Chromecast, you may switch back to TPG NBN to proceed, send us a PM with your details so we can coordinate our Accounts Team.

Regards,

david64
Level 15

@Shane . Are you sure you are providing the correct reason for this problem with Chromecast?

CG-NAT prevents users from logging in to their home network from the internet, as explained in the 4G and 5G information pages. It doesn't interfere with local operations, which is what Chromecast is.

AUsers are reporting that Chromecast and various other wifi devices cannot connect to the Sagemcom wifi. The only solution for them is to use their old router as a wifi access point connected to the Sagemcom.

From memory, some users reported that their devices were connecting properly to Sagemcom, but at some point suddenly stopped working. This could have been due to a firmware upgrade.

@ssduncomb 

ssduncomb
Level 2
Thanks @david64 it had been working then suddenly stopped.
Rossfit
Level 2

I have been experiencing a similar issue. 

Let me break down what i know:

1) The information provided by TPG above is misleading and garbage. I switched to the 5G wifi and have been using ALL TECH in my premise without interruption until a few days ago. 

2) It seems likely that your router has switched your NAT type to type 3 and restricted usages. My chromecast and google home have now been on the fritz and my PS5 cannot connect to certain online games. 
3) TPG states that this type of home connection may not be suitable for devices such as chromecast and gaming but states this is due to latency and reliability not due to this issue. 

I have spoken to numerous "technical support" teams at TPG and they all do not have a clue as to what is going on let alone what day it is. 

BasilDV

Hi @Rossfit

We'd like to check on this further.

Kindly send us a private message with your account details.

BasilDV