TPG Community

Get online support

Complaint - No "Exit Fees"?

907813mark
Level 2

So with the new price increase I decided to change providers. No surprise right?

I switched earlier in the month and new ISP said not to inform old ISP for a while (then I forgot about it).

So I went to cancel TPG today (22/09) because I got charged for the next billing period starting 24/09, happy to pay for the previous billing period (even though I didn't use the service for half the period). There's still 2 days before the new period starts.

Exit/Cancel team member informs me there's a 30 day notification period for terminating, which just means it's an exit fee. Since I'm not going to be using the service and the billing period hasn't actually started yet I thought it would be fine. Wrong. I've got to pay for the next billing service still because of the notification period.

TPG advertising that there are no early termination fees and then charging one anyway is deceptive and false advertising. I'm pretty sure the TPG advertisements all say "no exit fees" on them. Even the newer plans on the website and the CIS contridicts itself, just not in laymens terms. Esspecially if a scenario like mine occurs.

3 REPLIES 3
Ahra_G

Hi @907813mark

When you are outside contract, you can cancel the account without any termination fees. However, you are required to provide us at least 30 days notice and the service has to be paid up to the end of the notice period.

Let us know if we can be of further assistance. 

Thanks! 

Ahra_G

907813mark
Level 2

That's exactly my point.

I received the fee increase notice less than 30 days before my next billing period.

There wasn't enough time provided for me to cancel the service before the price change I was advised about.

Not withstanding the fact I won't actually be using the service.

Not providing users enough of a notice period to change before a cost hike when you have a 30 day notice period to leave is just bad business practice

Ahra_G

Hi @907813mark, it is important to note these changes only apply to a selection of our NBN plans. 

We cannot speak on behalf of other ISPs but I think it's an odd advise to tell you not to contact or coordinate with your current ISP about your transfer.

Let me help with your discussion with our customer service team. Please send me a private message with your TPG account details to help with your transition and check your account. 

Thanks! 

Ahra_G