TPG Community

Get online support

Connection lost at specific time each day

ctzeninsane
Level 2

Hi. I live in South Granville NSW 2142. Our place had the ADSL2+ and Home Phone Bundle installed back in July last year, but had a terrible connection problem, which we sorted out January this year. Since then, I have noticed a strange phenomenon where our connection would get lost some time between 10~11pm, then reconnects at lower speed, every single day. Our normal speed would be around 5.5 mbps, but after the disconnection at night, it would reconnect at around 3 mbps, and stays at that speed until I restart the modem next morning. When I restart the modem in the morning, it comes back to 5.5 mbps. Here's a brief summary of what happens:

- Reconnecting within a couple of hours of disconnection does not bring it back to the normal speed - I have to wait until morning in order to get the speed back.

- I do not know exactly what time the speed comes back, as it is very late at night. I can confirm that reconnecting at 1am does not bring the speed back.

- have tried with the stock Huawei as well as a different modem, which is a Billion BiPAC 7800NL with the latest firmware, with no different results.

I have been observing the issue for over 2 months now, so I can confirm that the condition I mentioned above is 100% facts.

If the tech supports from TPG or end users who have similar experience give me some kind of clues as to how to solve this problem it would be much appreciated.

6 REPLIES 6
Joseph_D

@ctzeninsane does the DSL light flash or turn off in the modem when the connection drops?

The connection is stable for more that 17 hours. I do see that the current connection speed was low compared to your distance from the exchange.

I ran a test on the lines outside, it is clear of any interference.

The speed doubled after the test.

Just to be clear, your connection speed drops in between 10 - 11 PM & even if you switch the modem off & on the speed is still low?

Kind regards,

Joseph D

ctzeninsane
Level 2

Thank you for your response, Joseph. The DSL light completely turns off when the drop occurs. The connection speed would stay at around 5.5 mbps until the drop-off occurs some time between 10 - 11 pm each day. The exact time of drop varies, but it definately occurs between that period. After the drop, it reconnects at around 3 mbps, and restarting the modem immediately does not fix the low speed. I do not know what time the reconnection brings back the speed, as it is very late at night. I can confirm that restarting the modem at 7:00am brings back the speed. If I do not restart the modem, the speed stays at 3 mbps all day. Just to be clear, leaving it at 3 mbps for 24 hours until the drop-off occurs again does not fix the issue.

Shane

Hi @ctzeninsane,

Thanks for the additional details. We ran another test to your service and it shows a possible line fault that may cause a dropouts and slow connection to your service.

Please confirm if your modem/router is directly connected to the wall socket or it is connected to a filter/splitter together with a telephone handset.

Have you tried to isolate the modem/router alone? If yes, does the issue still occurs?

ctzeninsane
Level 2

Yes, my modem is connected directly to the wall socket, and it is the only device that is connected to out phone line, without any other landline phone or any other devices.

Shane

Hi @ctzeninsane,

Thanks for the additional details. We'd like to arrange a call from one of our Technicians for further test and investigation. Feel free to PM me your best contact number and preferred time today.

In case you need a reference: How do I private message (PM) in the community

Cheers!

Shane

Hi @ctzeninsane,

Thanks for sending us your details. We arranged one of our Technicians to call you later today between 10-12NN AEDST. Make sure to keep your mobile phone available for the incoming call and let us know how it will go.

Cheers!