Connection

rachidholly
Level 2

Does anybody else have their internet connection drop out every day around the same time? Mine drops out around 5.45 pm and it can last for at least 1 hour. 
This happens only to the 5G connection and not the 2.4 Ghz.

Its very annoying and not good at all.

Anybody have any fixes or is this due to the stock modem router TPG uses?

5 REPLIES 5
david64
Level 15

Hi rachidholly. What model wifi router do you have?

How long has this been happening?

When it happens, what is the state of the wifi/2.4G/5G lights?

For example, the Archer VR1600 has a wireless schedule function.

Go to Advanced > Wireless > Wireless Schedule page.

Or, it might be interference. What happens to the 5G signal strength when the dropout occurs?

rachidholly
Level 2

Hello David,

Thank you for your reply. 

I have an Archer VR1600v router like you said. This has been happening since the beginning they've installed NBN and that's like 8 months ago. At the beginning we didn't really realized it because we didn't use a laptop that often. But since this Covid stuff happened we are forced to use the laptop daily for work and study. Both of us, my misses and I. 

When it drops out, the lights on the router are still on. Both 2.4G and 5G. I disconnect my laptop and phone from the 5G network and cannot find it when I browse WiFi to search for available networks. Only 2.4 G pops up and I can connect to that one and it works. 

It seems to happen only with 5G network. I just checked the wireless schedule option and it's turned off. Its a weird issue to be honest.

david64
Level 15

Hi Rachidholly.

What is the distance between router and laptop?

When the laptop loses the 5G signal, can other devices, phone, tablet, still connect on 5G?

When it happens, does the laptop work on an ethernet connection?

rachidholly
Level 2

Hello David,

Thank you for your email. 

The distance between laptop and router is less than 10 meter. . We live in a small unit and the walls aren't thick either. Both laptop devices lose their connection. Other devices such as printer, chromecast and sometimes my own mobile are connected to 2.4G. When I lose connection I disconnect my laptop to 5G and connect to 2.4G. That works most of the time. I tried a few times to turn my router and modem off and wait for 10 seconds and turn them back on. Unfortunately this didn't work so i stopped doing that.

I will monitor it today and see if it happens again because I switched the 5G channel yesterday.

Thanks again and stay safe.

david64
Level 15

Hi Rachidholly.

5G has higher speed but less range.

While you are using your laptop on 5g, use your phone to check the signal strengths of your 2.4g and 5g networks. Also check the surrounding networks.

On a Windows computer, you can do the following in a command window:

netsh wlan show all

This gives more detail on the wifi networks that the computer can detect.

When the laptop loses the 5g connection, check if the phone can still see the 5g network and strength. If the phone detects it at normal strength, there's something wrong with laptop. If 5g is present but weaker or if the phone can't detect it, take the phone next to the router.

If the signal is still weak or no signal, it's a router problem. You could try a factory reset (paper clip). If you haven't done this before, you should go through the router config pages (even photograph them). The main things are internet setup (PPPoE, TPG username and password, and VLANID=2). Any other settings you have made will be cleared.

If still no good, TPG can do a firmware upgrade. If router proves to be faulty, it might still be under warranty.