TPG Community

Get online support

Constant intermittent glitches.

iq455
Level 4
Firmware Version:0.1.0 0.9.1 v5006.0 Build 200810 Rel.53181n Hardware Version:Archer VR1600v v2 00000000

Hi again, 

Everythings been great since the last fix by Shane. Now for the past month or so connection has been declining. 

Today we reset everything, router reset, NTD reset. Then all of a sudden, we've been getting full disconnected every 10m/30m/1hr and it won't reconnect as usual, have to restart router each time. 

We started having problems with our friends who are also with TPG all around the country around the same time last month.

Could we get someone to stabilize the connection for us again?

Cheers
48 REPLIES 48
Shane

Hi @iq455 ,

Thanks for raising this to us. I can confirm that there is a multiple dropouts reported to the service but it shows it caused incorrect modem/router configuration. Please do manually config the modem/router without the TPG's domain (@tpg.com.au) simply type-in the TPG Username and password. Let me know how it will go.

Regards,

@iq455 wrote:
Firmware Version:0.1.0 0.9.1 v5006.0 Build 200810 Rel.53181n Hardware Version:Archer VR1600v v2 00000000

Hi again, 

Everythings been great since the last fix by Shane. Now for the past month or so connection has been declining. 

Today we reset everything, router reset, NTD reset. Then all of a sudden, we've been getting full disconnected every 10m/30m/1hr and it won't reconnect as usual, have to restart router each time. 

We started having problems with our friends who are also with TPG all around the country around the same time last month.

Could we get someone to stabilize the connection for us again?

Cheers

iq455
Level 4

Hi Shane, that seems to have fixed the full disconnects. Now I just have the intermittent glitches every few minutes. Seems to happen in the mornings mostly when I guess everyone in my street gets onto the internet.

Is it possible to stabilize this or get a dedicated line or get more bandwidth for my street?

I can't work with these glitches, although I don't get DC'd, I do lose internet for 10 - 20 seconds every few minutes or more.

Thanks again

iq455
Level 4

Got fully DC'd again even after the username correction. Do you think the router is bad after a year?

david64
Level 15

Hi @iq455 . Since you can connect with the domain in your username AND without the domain in your username, it is irrelevant.

What type of NBN connection do you have?

Next time you get a disconnection, after it recovers, save the router system log to your device, then copy and paste it back here, just the bit leading up to disconn and recovery.

If router doesn't recover by itself and you can still login to admin, just get the system log leading up to disconn.

iq455
Level 4

Hi David,

The connection is HFC.

I reset the router once again and just got another full disconnect. Router page wouldn't work until I turned the router off/on again. When I go into the log, it never shows a disconnected event, ever, in the year that I've had it.

Can I post my complete log to you in pm instead since the last DC? It's not that big? 50 lines.

Thanks for your help.

iq455
Level 4

I think its overheating tbh as well because the last 2 days, as these drops have been happening constantly after resetting my router after a year, the reset was a coincidence, but the heat in my area has gone way up.....Always conincidences and I can never pin it down, ugh.

So I turned it off and cooled it down with aircon. So far so good. If it drops again in a while, it's probably heat related.

But those glitches are likely the network, all lights stay on, nothing in the log says anything disconnected, but it really does because everything internet related loses connection, all devices, etc..but the router says otherwise.

Since those glitches were happening with pretty cool temps all year and my mates also on tpg started complaining about their connections at the same time as me I'm going to keep this thread open, hope you can help with that.

Cheers

david64
Level 15

@iq455 . Turning the router off to recover clears the system log. 

If you get disconn and can't login to router, try     ping 192.168.1.1    

If that works, try     telnet 192.168.1.1 80

If neither work, the router has crashed internally.

Try this while the router is working. Login to admin and got Advanced, System Tools, Traffic Monitor. Activate it. The graph and chart will start updating. You can leave that browser tab running while you do other work. The router won't log you off. On disconnection, return to the router tab, click System Log and see if router is still active.

If your environment is hotter, it could still be a faulty router. You coud try a USB-powered fan from the USB port on the Archer. The Archer gets warm to the touch but not hot. The FTTC box is actually hotter.

Re glitches, are ethernet and wifi devices affected? 

Do a tracert to TPG. Second address is the router's default gateway (a "10" address). Leave a command window open with a ping command for this address. When you get a glitch, execute the ping command. Compare the glitch response time with a good response time. If you get a disconnect, the default gateway address and router's WAN ip address both change.

iq455
Level 4

@david64 wrote:

@iq455 . Turning the router off to recover clears the system log. 

If you get disconn and can't login to router, try     ping 192.168.1.1    

If that works, try     telnet 192.168.1.1 80

If neither work, the router has crashed internally.

Alright, I put a fan on it lastnight and it lasted the longest it has since 2 1/2 days ago... At 2AM, the temps were cool, and the router was cool from the fan, and it DC'd, very little traffic happening compared to usual useage, pretty much idle.

The ping and telnet didn't work. It won't recover, so I had to restart it.

@david64 wrote:

@iq455 .  Re glitches, are ethernet and wifi devices affected? 

Yes, every device and connection type. If watching netflix on smart tv, it buffers. If playing PS5 it lags. If on PC playing a game, it says "Searching for connection" for 10 seconds, then goes away. This happens intermittently. Sometimes once every 10 seconds for hours, sometimes once everytime people wake up in my neighbourhood and when the kids get off school in my neighbourhood. I'm guessing network congestion for these glitches. The router never DC's though, the lights are always on. Only after I reset the router 3 days ago to try fix the glitches has it been fully disconnecting and never reconnecting without a restart.

I'll do that graph thing now.

Thanks, David \o
iq455
Level 4

@david64 wrote:

@iq455 .  Try this while the router is working. Login to admin and got Advanced, System Tools, Traffic Monitor. Activate it. The graph and chart will start updating. You can leave that browser tab running while you do other work. The router won't log you off. On disconnection, return to the router tab, click System Log and see if router is still active.

That worked, the router disconnected, but regained connection shortly after without me having to restart the router. Good trick!