TPG Community

Get online support

DSL and Internet dropping out frequently on TP-Link Archer VR1600 modem

mickmccauley
Level 3

Hi Shane, correct is has been stable for 7 hours since it went down.  I have a single PC connected via 1m Cat 6 cable.  This has nothing to do with wireless.  As I said in my post, the DSL went down.

Thanks.

Will

Hi @mickmccauley

Thanks for providing us additional information about the setup of your local network.

I investigated further to find out what could have caused the connection to drop on the 24th. I found out that there was a maintenance work by NBNCo wherein they posted that the start date/time was on 24/02/2019 23:00 AEDT and was supposed to end at 25/02/2019 06:00 AEDT.

Though your connection seems to have dropped earlier than the time frame that NBNCo provided, it seems like the reason for the service loss during that time was due to the said maintenance.

I can see that your service has been stable for more than 14 hours since it reconnected at 4:03AM on February 25th.

Please observe your connection further and let us know if you're still experiencing the same issue.

Regards,

mickmccauley
Level 3

Update...... just had the house rewired with cat6 from the phone line entry box on the side of the house straight through to the nearest wall.  All other phone lines have been disconnected.  I have FTTN and am 800m from the node. Speed has gone from 28 to 44Mbps with 8 ping.  Shows how house wiring can impact speed.  

Prior to the rewiring it dropped out several times yesterday, so hopefully the dropouts will now disappear.  

Will

Hi @mickmccauley

That's good news. Indeed, on most cases, one of the main reasons for a degraded speed would be the internal wiring itself.

I ran a test and I can see that the modem is currently getting a sync rate of 48.4Mbps for download.

Let us know how it goes with the connection stability.

Regards,

mickmccauley
Level 3

Unfortunately now down to 12-18Mbps.  Now 6:50pm Brisbane time.  Either it's peak impact or it has being turned down...???  I work from home so I will be monitoring it again through tomorrow to see it it improves again during the day and again reduces in the evening.  If that happens then it's all back with TPG and how much speed they are buying from NBN.

lpecakov1
Level 2

mine has been dropping out every 12 minutes since installtion. Pathetic