TPG Community

Get online support

Discontinuation of e-mail services

gmasma
Level 4

Please don't expect anything useful from TPG Chariot. They have gone missing in action, though admit they are likely to close down at some unknown date!

But my inbox is now at 400% capacity and undeleteable! When will it explode?

Grahame

arthurki
Level 2

No – no emails received about discontinuation of email.

ALSO – Web space (max 30MB) is going to be cut off on 1 August with no warning about this either. We have a small set of web pages that has been used by people all over the world wanting informtion about Scottish Country dancing, and Irish Set dancing. It gets only 20-30 hits per week, but it has been getting that amount of traffic for about 15-20 years.

Now, with no warning, it will all die, and links contained on thousands of pages around the world will cease to exist and no opportunity to warn anyone that the web pages are about to disappear.

adsljw8s
Level 3

Don't keep details private in these conversations, we all need to know.

drbob
Level 6

Ever since the beginning of the on-line era (with dial-up connections) email was an important(even the ONLY) service provided by ISPs. TPG deciding to stop providing email access as part of its internet plans is surprising. However, seeing that the TPG email service is not always as responsive as one could hope for, perhaps this is for the best. I have in mind the numerous emails that ANZ Bank sent me that went missing and the multiple "verification codes" that turned up too late to be of use in "two-factor" verification.

Rather than pay for email provision by a third party, I am wondering if one might be better off at this point to purchase a domain name and run one own's email server? After all, that is all that is required: an internet connection with a public ip-address and a computer (perhaps something similar to a Raspberry Pi) running an email server.

Ebay_NJ
Level 2
We just received an email supposedly from TPG stating we need to migrate The Messaging Service before 18 September 2023 or our service will be suspended and the deleted after 30 November 2023. That’s fairly aggressive and I guess if true then we too will be searching for a new internet provider.
neates
Level 3

@Ahra_G wrote:

Hi @jpgibard

Email notifications have been sent to TPG customers informing of the change.

Yeah, right TPG. We received our email notification of this nearly a month after this was written. 

I'm sorry that your customer staff (including the moderators on here) have to endure our frustration, but surely it could have been avoided? 

If TPG is paying TMC to host our emails for a year, then surely TPG knows a likely ballpark figure for the service we are expected to pay for after September 2024.

Also concerning to see Google news re TPG buying into other companies. Are they basically getting out of internet service altogether?

hjwilson
Level 2

TPG customers will have 42 days' notice to opt-in to the new service before potentially being cut off from their email service.

I have yet to get any notification about this.  The only reason I know is from a news article.  Great job TPG Smiley Sad.  I wont be staying when me emails go.  I have been with iinet for 20 years and internode for 15.  Both are now ** after TPG took over.