TPG Community

Get online support

Do I need to clone mac address to new router?

SOLVED Go to solution
crux
Level 2

Hi, 

I'm using TGP NBN FTTN service. I just got a new VDSL2 modem router ASUS DSL-3100 (https://www.asus.com/au/Networking/DSL-AC3100/) to replace the Huawei device came with contract. Would you please confrim if I need to clone the mac address to new router? I'm asking this becuase I was told by TPG support once that there is no need to set user ID/PW in router but TPG can recognized it automactilly using mac address. If that's true then the new router should use the same mac address as the old one?

Thanks and Regards, 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
BasilDV

Good day @crux.

Welcome to TPG Community!

For NBN FTTN technology, you don't really need to clone the MAC address of our modem as you just need to configure your VDSL modem with your TPG account details (username and password).

However, using a different VDSL modem, the homephone feature of your NBN will not be available.

Please refer below to get your modem connected to our server:

Since you will be using a 3rd party modem, you will need to refer to the modem's manual or contact its manufacturer for assistance on its configuration.

Below are the settings needs to be configured in your modem:

Username: <TPG username>
Password: <your TPG Password>
Protocol / Encapsulation / Connection Type: PPPoE (sometimes,
you'll have PPPoE LLC)
VLAN ID: 2

Kind regards,

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
BasilDV

Good day @crux.

Welcome to TPG Community!

For NBN FTTN technology, you don't really need to clone the MAC address of our modem as you just need to configure your VDSL modem with your TPG account details (username and password).

However, using a different VDSL modem, the homephone feature of your NBN will not be available.

Please refer below to get your modem connected to our server:

Since you will be using a 3rd party modem, you will need to refer to the modem's manual or contact its manufacturer for assistance on its configuration.

Below are the settings needs to be configured in your modem:

Username: <TPG username>
Password: <your TPG Password>
Protocol / Encapsulation / Connection Type: PPPoE (sometimes,
you'll have PPPoE LLC)
VLAN ID: 2

Kind regards,

crux
Level 2

Thanks for reply. 

Somehow I got connected only after I cloned the mac from old router. 

Shane

Hi @crux,

We're glad to know that!

In case you will have queries in the future do not hesitate to create a thread our community is here to help.

Cheers! Smiley Happy