TPG Community

Get online support

Dynamic IP address change frequency

sapguru
Level 2

Hi,

I would like to find out how often TPG considers it to be appropriate a dynamically assigned IP address on a residential NBN account should change within 24 hours.

Each change disrupts traffic, downloads/uploads, VoIP services etc. Frequent changes are therefore not only disruptive and annoying, but also fly in the face of the notion that an NBN connection is a 'permanent service'.

Can someone from TPG provide information on how many such IP changes are considered appropriate and accesptable to the customer?

3 REPLIES 3
Shane

Hi. A Dynamic IP address may change whenever your connection restarts.

With your current NBN Technology (NBN FTTN), you have an option to get a Static IP however we only offer that with our NBN Business plan. 

You may check this link for more info: NBN BUSINESS PLANS

Feel free to let me know should you have further queries. 

Hi,

I would like to find out how often TPG considers it to be appropriate a dynamically assigned IP address on a residential NBN account should change within 24 hours.

Each change disrupts traffic, downloads/uploads, VoIP services etc. Frequent changes are therefore not only disruptive and annoying, but also fly in the face of the notion that an NBN connection is a 'permanent service'.

Can someone from TPG provide information on how many such IP changes are considered appropriate and accesptable to the customer?

sapguru
Level 2

Thank you for your repsonse - unfortunately, it doesn't provide the requested information.

You say: "..whenever your connection restarts". Since I moved from ADSL to NBN, it is TPG that 'restarts the connection', not me. As the whole point - at least in my view - of broadband is to be 'always on', a "connection restart" should be very rare.

Secondly: My question relates to how often TPG restarts the connections when doing it "multiple times in a day". How often in 24 hours does TPG consider to be acceptable "multiple times"?

Shane

Apologies for the confusion, please disregard the 'multiple times. TPG do not restart the connection unless its for testing purposes.

The Dynamic IP address will change after rebooting the modem, but if there is no interruption or its left connected the IP address may last up to 14 days but its not guarantee.

Note: Unplanned Maintenance, Line Fault or any type of connection issue may cause the Dynamic IP address to change.

Thank you for your repsonse - unfortunately, it doesn't provide the requested information.

You say: "..whenever your connection restarts". Since I moved from ADSL to NBN, it is TPG that 'restarts the connection', not me. As the whole point - at least in my view - of broadband is to be 'always on', a "connection restart" should be very rare.

Secondly: My question relates to how often TPG restarts the connections when doing it "multiple times in a day". How often in 24 hours does TPG consider to be acceptable "multiple times"?