TPG Community

Get online support

FTTB Sydney NSW Packetloss

tlai
Level 3

2/8 update -  I've been informed they'll send me a test modem to try. Will provide further updates once this is received.

Thanks

tlai
Level 3

3/8 test modem is coming.

The issue is getting progressiveely worse where today the internet is unusable. I was disconnected 7 times in 30mins. I am lucky if the connection remains stable for even 30mins.

3.8.10 10pm.PNG

I now need to find a 4G backup as it's impossible to WFH.

tlai
Level 3

6/8 update

Test modem arrived yesterday and has been installed.

Pings have increased (from 6-8ms to 14ms to TPG). 

Internet has been stable for almost 24 hours now. however, as it is an intermittant issue, longer testing is required. Will continue to monitor.

Thanks

tlai
Level 3

11/8 update.

After a few days of stable internet, the issue persists, even with the test modem

Midnight:

11.8.20 midnight.PNG

7pm:

11.8.20.PNG

tlai
Level 3

This lasted from 7pm to 9:30pm.

11.8.20  to 9pm.PNG

Shane

Hi @tlai,

Thanks for the updates we will pass this to our Engineering Team for additional reference related to this escalated issue. Expect them to contact you via SMS or Phone call for the updates.

Regards,

This lasted from 7pm to 9:30pm.

11.8.20  to 9pm.PNG

avt85
Level 4

@tlai 

Did you try to capture the packet traffic during the time tyou are experience packet loss?
Curious to see how the data looks like during this outage window.

By chance, is the line attentunuation reported by your modem low during this said outage or it normal?

tlai
Level 3

@avt85  how do you capture packet traffic? Through something like wireshark? Do I didn't. I am using a wired connection to the router/modem.

-The line attenuation doesn't really change. It says at 1.7-2.3 dB for upstream and downstream.

When it happens, the errors (upstream and downstream) start increases.

18/8 update.

A technician is coming back this Thursday. I have swapped back to my previous modem as I had to return my test modem. So far it's been stable for 2 days, so it's hard to identify what causes it.

Thanks

avt85
Level 4

@tlai 

yeah, a wireshark capture would help collect more data when you are experiencing the packet loss from the machine you are performing the packet test on.

ah yes, I remember when my NBN was FTTN. I experienced similar behaviour during heavy load on the line (ended up being a faulty copper line at the node end). Not saying is the case on this one but possible.

For the high latency/pings, are you using tpg dns or using other dns providers like cloudflare or google dns?

tlai
Level 3

@avt85 cloudflare dns.

I'll see if i can get a capture next time it happens.