TPG Community

Get online support

FTTC 100MB download speed suddenly reduced

PepTheChef
Level 2
Hi there,

I've recently transitioned from an ADSL2+ connection to NBN FTTC. Been on the FTTC connection for just over 2 weeks and been able to get speeds of roughly 75Mbps, confirmed by speedtest as well as actual multi threaded downloads. My woes have since started since Friday night/Saturday morning.

My last succesful fast download was Friday afternoon, since Saturday morning i haven't been able to pull down beyond 50Mbps and the most common speed is around 35Mbps. What further makes me think something is at play is i recieved an automated email from TPG about NBN speed advising that i can reduce my speed plan at no cost.

Is this common? Being an early adopter of FTTC NBN in the area results in faster speeds initially and then when the masses signup = welcome to reality?

I'm hoping someone has experienced similar or there is some an ability to get back to the initial speeds i was getting.

I can provide screenshots of before vs after if required.

Many thanks in advance,
Pep
8 REPLIES 8
Will

Hi @PepTheChef 

Welcome to the Community!

Speed degradation could be due to a lot of factors (network issues, type of connection used, interference among others). Can you PM us your customer ID or username so we can perform tests on our end to check for any possible network-related concerns? If the results are good, then we can focus on your setup next. We already tried pulling your account using your community details, but we're not certain that we have the right one.

For your reference: How do I private message (PM) in the community

Regards,

Will

Hi @PepTheChef 

Thanks for providing your account username via PM.

Based on the tests I performed, we're detecting that the line is capable of receiving 109Mbps. This is also the same information that was sent to you via email. So a 35Mbps download speed is indeed not normal.

To check why you're getting a lower speed than usual and how we can make the necessary adjustments to improve your connection, can you provide us the following:

• Screenshot of the speed test results you have
  • Are your devices connected via WIFI alone?
  • Is it possible to connect a computer or laptop via ethernet and test the speed?
  • Which WIFI network are you connected to? Is it the 2.4GHz network or the 5GHz?
  • Can you try to switch to the other network to see if there's a difference in terms of speed?

We'll be waiting for your response.

PepTheChef
Level 2

Hi Will,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

• Screenshot of the speed test results you have

I've attached a screenshot of the couple of Speedtests I did over the past few days.Note the decrease of speed since Saturday morning.

• Are your devices connected via WIFI alone?
    The PC that the screenshot is from is physically connected via Ethernet. I have a mixed selection of devices connected physically/wirelessly.
  • Is it possible to connect a computer or laptop via ethernet and test the speed? 

Done so. I've disabled WiFi altogether, unplugged all other devices except for PC. Ensured PC idle and not actually downloading anything. Performed a new speedtest attached.

• Which WIFI network are you connected to? Is it the 2.4GHz network or the 5GHz?
    N/A
  • Can you try to switch to the other network to see if there's a difference in terms of speed?

N/A

Will

Hi @PepTheChef 

Thanks for those screenshots. Based on your response, the results all came from one device alone, which is the PC connected via ethernet. Are you getting the same results when using a different device (example: mobile phone)?

Regards,

PepTheChef
Level 2

Hi Will,

Those tests came from a singular device, PC connected via Ethernet.

Please see my results from mobile (tried  both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz) and results are around the same.

Will

Hi @PepTheChef 

Thanks again for the screenshots. I have refreshed the network port on my end. Can you perform another test to see if there's an improvement? If it's still the same, please reset the modem (using the reset button at the back) and then retest. We may have to escalate this case to our Engineering Team if these last 2 steps are not able to improve your connection speed.

Regards,

PepTheChef
Level 2

Hi Will,

Just tried the speed tests again, all devices hovering between 30 and 40 Mbps. I've performed a reset of the modem and noticed I've recieved a completely new external IP address, one that I haven't seen before.

Good thing is though that I'm pulling down over 90Mbps!

Thanks for your help. 

Will

That's good news, @PepTheChef 

I'm glad that the reset did the trick. Since all NBN residential accounts are given Dynamic IP addresses, once you perform a reboot or a reset, your IP address may change depending on the available IP addresses in the pool.

Feel free to drop by if you need further assistance.