TPG Community

Get online support

FTTN NBN 100 slow speed

SOLVED Go to solution
Dziemborowicz
Level 2

I'm having issues with my NBN100 plan.
For the last few days I've been getting download speeds of approximately 5 Mbps. Today it's down to 1.9 mbps. Upload speeds remain normal at ~19 Mbps.

I have tried restarting my router with no change in download speed.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
BasilDV

The last thing we need to try is to reset the modem/router, you can perform a factory reset through the modem interface or press the button inside a tiny pinhole for at least 10 seconds.

Be advised that the settings you've changed will go back to default and you just need to change them again.

Test the speed once back online and let us know how it goes.

BasilDV

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
BasilDV

Hi @Dziemborowicz 

Are you able to check the Downstream and Upstream on the modem interface to make sure that you are getting the registered speed for your service?

If you don't know how to do it or it you are getting slow speed, then send us a private message with your account details for us to run some tests.

BasilDV

Dziemborowicz
Level 2

Hi BasilDV,

I believe this is the information you requested:

Upstream | Downstream

Current Rate (kbps)22600119903
Max Rate (kbps)44546125255
SNR Margin (dB)21.37.8
Line Attenuation (dB)148.6
Errors (pkts)0161

Note, the Upstream rate is the left column and downstream rate is the right column. Not sure why the table didn't paste in correctly.

I had a conversation with one of your support members earlier today. She has escalated the situation after re-testing the line after a reset with no improvement.

Any help would be greatly appreciated in the meantime.

Thanks.

BasilDV

Thank you @Dziemborowicz 

That speed looks good. It is equivalent to 22Mbps Upstream and 119Mbps Downstream.

Did you test the speed via WiFi or Wired?

Can you check if the QoS or Bandwidth Control is enabled on your device? If yes, change its value or disable it.

Let us know how it goes.

BasilDV

Dziemborowicz
Level 2

Yes, the speed does look good. But, it's not reflected in the actual performance.

I tested speeds using tpg.speedtestcustom.com as well as speedtest.net. Both of which I used via hard connection and WiFi (2.4 Ghz & 5.0 Ghz). All resulting in similar speeds of approx. 1-5 Mbps down, and 19 mbps up.

I haven't changed any modem settings since I got it 3 years ago. But something changed about 2 weeks ago with my performance and hasn't recovered since.

Bandwidth control WAS in fact enabled on my modem, but only for upload speed (limited to 19800). I have now disabled it.

Re-testing speeds with the bandwidth control disabled restulted in 4 mbps down, and 18 mbps up. (ie no significant change).

Anything else I can try?

Thanks in advance Smiley Happy

BasilDV

The last thing we need to try is to reset the modem/router, you can perform a factory reset through the modem interface or press the button inside a tiny pinhole for at least 10 seconds.

Be advised that the settings you've changed will go back to default and you just need to change them again.

Test the speed once back online and let us know how it goes.

BasilDV

Dziemborowicz
Level 2

Thank you BasilDV!

With the factory reset on the modem it appears that the connection has recovered to 108 mbps.

Really appreciate your help. Just the next step up from 'turn it off and back on again'. Kind of annoyed I didn't think to do it myself.

Thanks again!

BasilDV

Glad to be of assistance, @Dziemborowicz

BasilDV