TPG Community

Get online support

FTTN Profile 35b - TP Link Deco X50 AX3000 VDLS Modem/Router

HKK
Level 2
Level 2

Hi,

Finally looking at replacing an old Archer 1600 with a TP Link Deco X50 AX3000 VDLS Modem/Router and two mesh extenders on our FTTN connection.

The modem/router in question is capable of profile 35b, but as I understand TPG uses profile 17a. I called tech support and the guy there was helpful, but said he had never been asked about profile 35b before, and that I should ask in here. So... for customers who have devices that are capable of profile 35b, can TPG deliver that service? and if so how would we change profile for our connection? and I'm guessing I'd have to change a setting or two in the modem too.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

6 REPLIES 6
BasilDV

Hi @HKK 

We can't see any issues if your device is capable of profile 35b, however, for the NBN FTTN, you may not feel the full potential of the profile since at a good quality copper line you can only get up to 100 - 110 Mbps Downstream max.

Take note that if you are under the NBN bundled with VoIP plan, then you need to configure it with VLAN ID 2, PPPoE connection type.

If under the NBN Data only plan, then you just need to configure it with PPPoE connection type.

BasilDV

HKK
Level 2
Level 2

Cheers for the reply...

Any performance gain would be welcome, even if its just a 10-15% boost. Is there any down side to trying 35b once I get the new hardware?

How would we arrange the change in profile?

Thanks!

BasilDV

Not sure if it's set by default, but you may check with the Manufacturer for the complete configuration of the 3rd party device.

BasilDV

HKK
Level 2
Level 2

Oh... I thought the ISP had to enable it at the other end also.

BasilDV

We don't have the option on our end @HKK . You may check with their support for clarification.

david64
Level 15

Hi @HKK . I guess NBNCo has set the nodes to generate max 100Mbps, and that the DSL hardware in routers can detect the profile being used.

You should check the DSL stats in the Archer to see what max and actual up and down speeds are being used on the copper phone line.

If you are on NBN100 plan already, you can check if your suburb is eligible for the FTTN to FTTP upgrade. It might be free if you select a plan speed faster than NBN100.