TPG Community

Get online support

Frequent dropouts on ADSL2+

pjclare
Level 2

Hi,

We've been at our address for about 3 years, with ADSL2+ the whole time. The connection has been fine most of that time - we had some issues a couple of years ago, and a technician came out and replace the port in our apartment and that resolved the issue.

However, recently our internet has been dropping out frequently - several times an hour.

I've checked the line stats reported by our modem, and the attenuation is fine (<30db), but the SNR margin not so much. Most of the time, the downstream SNR margin sits right on 6, but I watched it for about 5 minutes, and every 30 seconds or so it would drop to ~3, before returning to 6 again.

(FYI, our setup is a Netgear R7000 router using DD-WRT, connecting to WAN via a TP-Link modem in bridge mode. The modem is ~3 months old, and I have tested using a second modem, and also connecting directly via the modem without the router. The modem is connected directly to the port - we have a phone line, but no phone to plug into it).

Philip

6 REPLIES 6
JongR

Hi Philip,

I suggest that you check for line noise.

Disconnect your modem from the wall socket and connect a phone handset. Check for dial tone and for any crackling or hissing noise. Noise has the effect of causing signal dropouts and low sync speed from the phone exchange.

Presence of noise may indicate cable corrosion anywhere from the wall socket, internal cabling, your apartment building's MDF, up to the Telstra pits on the street.

Report presence of line noise to TPG Technical Support for resolution.

Have you seen a helpful comment lately? Be sure to give it a Like.
If a reply to your question solves the problem, be sure to mark it as an Accepted Solution.
BasilDV

Good day @pjclare.

Welcome to TPG Community!

I was able to pull up an account using your email address and have done some test. I was able to see the record of the dropouts and seen that the internet speed that your modem is receiving is quite low compared before.

I was not able to detect any line fault, but have seen some noise interference that causes errors on the line. I have made some adjustment, but this is temporary only.

I will arrange a call from our Tech team today between 5:30 PM - 6PM to make sure that you are at home. If you have any preferred time to receive a call, please let us know so we can notify our team.

Kind regards,

BasilDV

Hi @pjclare,

I understand that you were able to contact our Tech team and the issue was escalated to our Engineering team to further investigate the case, Further updates will be given by them.

Should you require any assistance, please let us know.

Kind regards,

michael18
Level 2

Hi i've been getting the same problem, I tried contacting customer support over the phone and all they told me was reset the modem and ended the call. They seemed lazy and not eager to help. The solution was changing plans try Optus the one I changed to. It fixed my solution and now I have stable fast internet. Avoid tpg it disconnects randomly sometimes it's unusable and insufficient.

Tony1
Level 2

Hey I have been using tpg adsl for a couple of years now, but the wifi has started to cut out most of the time it is really annonying, it takes a couple of minutes until the wifi turns back on because. help.

-Tony 

BasilDV

Hi @Tony1,

Welcome to TPG Community!

Are you experiencing the dropouts through your WiFi devices only or did you notice the dropouts with your Wired devices as well?

Was there any changes on the lights of our modem/router every time the connection drops?

We tried to locate your account using your community details to no avail.

Please send me a PM with your TPG username or customer ID number.

How to send a PM? Click here.

Regards,

BasilDV