TPG Community

Get online support

Get TPG to change my connection to closer Micronode

JasonJonesAU
Level 2

Before the dawn of NBN .. My neighbour and I had blistering ADSL speeds of maybe 8/2 that we would compare "over the fence". Then NBN came along and we rejoiced in comparing speed tests of up to 20/6 !... and this happened at about the same time that a new green micronode showed up in our semi rural street. We assumed the 2 events were related, however recently my neighbour who is with another ISP (also starting with T) had a technician from "T" indicate that his service had not been migrated to the Micro Node?  Neighbour was dubious and didnt want to lose his awesome NBN but was eventually convinced to allow the tech to "make the change" . Now, when we compare  speed tests he is up around the 40 /16 mark and I am still at 20/6 . I have asked TPG support how I get a slice of this Micronode action, but they tell me that TPG doesnt have access to it?? or that it is a problem for NBNCo??? and guess what NBNCo tells me....  who do I complain to next? 

3 REPLIES 3
Shane

Hi @JasonJonesAU ,

Welcome to the community!

Thanks for raising this to us. I would like to confirm if the NBN Technology you have is NBN FTTN, if so, NBN FTTN sync speed is restricted by how far you are from the Node. If you are too far away from the Node you may not even see the speed that your plan is enabled for.

In your case you are on the NBN50 plan, but you are only getting 20M sync speed. This indicates that you are already too far from the Node to obtain your full 50M download speeds that your profile will allow.

This is a physical limitation of cabling and no matter which plan you are on you will not be able to increase this speed.

The only other possibility for increased speed is to ensure that your internal household cabling is as simple as possible and that you have just one phone socket terminated on or as close to the Leadin cable from the street as you can. Multiple internal phone sockets can have a big impact on sync speed.

Below is a graph of what speeds are deemed acceptable for the distance from the Node.

Note: We cannot compare other's service connection since it uses different lead-in copper wires.

Below is a graph of what speeds are deemed acceptable for the distance from the Node.

FTTN-speed-distance-graph.png

Regards,

@JasonJonesAU wrote:

Before the dawn of NBN .. My neighbour and I had blistering ADSL speeds of maybe 8/2 that we would compare "over the fence". Then NBN came along and we rejoiced in comparing speed tests of up to 20/6 !... and this happened at about the same time that a new green micronode showed up in our semi rural street. We assumed the 2 events were related, however recently my neighbour who is with another ISP (also starting with T) had a technician from "T" indicate that his service had not been migrated to the Micro Node?  Neighbour was dubious and didnt want to lose his awesome NBN but was eventually convinced to allow the tech to "make the change" . Now, when we compare  speed tests he is up around the 40 /16 mark and I am still at 20/6 . I have asked TPG support how I get a slice of this Micronode action, but they tell me that TPG doesnt have access to it?? or that it is a problem for NBNCo??? and guess what NBNCo tells me....  who do I complain to next? 

JasonJonesAU
Level 2

Hi Shane, thanks for the reply

Yep it is FTTN and I am on 50 (so I can get static IP) and I understand the impact of distance from the street cabinet on performance. I just want someone to confirm that I am indeed connected to the closest street cabinet. I would say I am about 600m from the street cabinet (micronode?). In my long winded whinge I was explaining that both myself and my neighbour were getting  the exact same speed, now he is getting twice the speed? Something has changed for his service, and he did not modify anything downstream from where his router is connected in the house. From his conversation with the technician it sounded like his copper was not connected to the closest street cabinet... and was then transferred to the closest street cabinet, hence the improvement in his speed.   

Shane

Hi @JasonJonesAU,

As much as I want to answer your question with your neighbour's connection unfortunately, TPG does not have the information and control to relocate on which node the service is connected to as the infrastructure is owned by NBN Co.

Let me know should you require further assistance.

Regards,

Hi Shane, thanks for the reply

Yep it is FTTN and I am on 50 (so I can get static IP) and I understand the impact of distance from the street cabinet on performance. I just want someone to confirm that I am indeed connected to the closest street cabinet. I would say I am about 600m from the street cabinet (micronode?). In my long winded whinge I was explaining that both myself and my neighbour were getting  the exact same speed, now he is getting twice the speed? Something has changed for his service, and he did not modify anything downstream from where his router is connected in the house. From his conversation with the technician it sounded like his copper was not connected to the closest street cabinet... and was then transferred to the closest street cabinet, hence the improvement in his speed.