Home devices

rodneysiegel
Level 2
Since switching to Home 5G Wireless, I have noticed my Google Home devices no longer work. After investing, I learnt that the type of modem doesn't work with these devices. Does anyone know whether any other device types (e.g. Alexa, Lenovo etc.) do work on Home 5G Wireless?
5 REPLIES 5
Shane

Hi @ rodneysiegel,

Most of the smart home systems are not compatible with the CG-NAT which comes with our 5G home broadband service.

For more details about our home broadband you may visit this link: https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Broadband-Internet/All-About-TPG-Home-Wireless-Broadband/m-p/95154#M...

We suggest switching or changing to an NBN connection so we can utilise the smart home systems. We can have our Accounts Team contact you to discuss the details of the plan change. 

Regards,

Since switching to Home 5G Wireless, I have noticed my Google Home devices no longer work. After investing, I learnt that the type of modem doesn't work with these devices. Does anyone know whether any other device types (e.g. Alexa, Lenovo etc.) do work on Home 5G Wireless?

david64
Level 15

Hi @rodneysiegel . CG-NAT stops you from connecting in to home devices from the internet; uPnP and port forwarding do not work. It depends on exactly how the Google devices work.

Do your home devices connect to the 5G modem/router? Can you see them in the client list with an ip address? You should be able to ping them from your home computer.

If they are not connecting to the modem/router's wifi, try disabling band steering and checking that the 5G SSID is different from the 2.4G SSID.

rodneysiegel
Level 2
Hi David,

Thanks for that. My Google devices do not work, and I have a Lenovo Smart Clock which works intermittently, but not consistently as it did on an NBN connection.

I'm not sure how to look for them in the client list (any tips?) or ping them from my computer (any tips?).

I have tried connecting separately to 5G and 2.4G bands, with neither working.

My wife just bought me an Alexa, but before unboxing an not being able to get a refund, I'm wondering whether it's even worth trying? I'm assuming it's probably not going to work either...?
BasilDV

Hi @rodneysiegel

Just an addition, if you received the Sagemcom Fast modem/router for our 5G Home Broadband.

The WiFi security only supports WPA2/WPA3 mode. If your devices are not compatible with the said security, then it may not connect or will have issues if connected.

Could you try to disable the WiFi security to test it with your Google devices?

If it worked, then you may need to have an access point to connect your devices via WiFi.

Since you have an NBN service before, you can configure the old modem/router you have as an access point if it's still functional.

BasilDV

david64
Level 15

@rodneysiegel . I wouldn't unwrap Alexa yet.

CG-NAT doesn't stop devices connecting to the router through wifi. Connecting devices via second router as access point doesn't get around CG-NAT. (If CG-NAT is not the issue, then using the old router as an access point will get your devices connected.)
Login to the 5G router admin; use ethernet computer is easier. Just look through all the menu screens.
In the Wireless part, look for Band Steering and disable it. Look at the two SSIDs (wifi network names). If they are the same, add -5G to the 5G one and save.
You can disable the 5G wifi network and see if your devices connect to the 2.4G when only it is running. And do the reverse. You might need to use WPS to connect these devices to the router since they might not have a keyboard.
WPS has to be enabled in the router.
What are the model numbers of a couple of these devices?
You might see the Client List in the Status screen, or in one of the LAN screens. You'll see the computer and other devices. If they have ip addresses, means they have connected to the router.
On your computer, open a command window. Syntax of ping command is ping followed by ip address,
eg. ping 192.168.1.103
If they connect to router, do you use a phone app to configure them or browser on computer?
If they don't connect to the 5G router and you don't want complication of using an access point, you can revert to the NBN connection.
If they do connect to 5G router but their mode of operation is prevented by CG-NAT, you can revert to the NBN connection.