TPG Community

Get online support

How many gigabytes is included on the Unlimited NBN plans?

SOLVED Go to solution
nhk
Level 3
Level 3

TPG support send out threats to cut everyone off for using too much unlimited and demand you contact them within 7 days before they cut you off with no further notice.

Phone call to help desk - question and issue IGNORED

email to support - IGNORED

Topic created on Whirlpool - IGNORED

topic created on TPG Community forums - IGNORED

email to tpg forum_admin email - IGNORED

I'm sensing a common theme here TPG you useless tossers

DarylP
Staff

Hi @nhk,

I think its important to identify what the actual issue is here.

Can you supply a link to the letter you have received? Is it actual usage or it it a fair use issue?

Daryl

nhk
Level 3
Level 3

Like you don't already know.

Dear Customer,

We have detected some unusual activity with your service. We have noticed a significant heavy Internet usage under your TPG account for the past months. Under TPG Standard Terms and Conditions you are not permitted to authorise a third party to use your service or use the service for commercial purposes without our written permission. We believe your use of the service is in breach of TPG Standard Terms and Conditions, and we are considering terminating the services. If you do not believe you are in breach of your contract with TPG, please explanation your use of the service and provide supporting evidence within the next 7 days. If we do not hear from you, we may take further action without notice to you. TPG reserves all its rights against you in connection with the breach of contract.

(spelling mistakes and horrible grammar are because TPG monkeys wrote it I am guessing)

so to be clear, I am requesting the official amount of data we are allowed to download/upload on the Unlimited plans

DarylP
Staff

@nhk wrote:

Like you don't already know.

Dear Customer,

We have detected some unusual activity with your service. We have noticed a significant heavy Internet usage under your TPG account for the past months. Under TPG Standard Terms and Conditions you are not permitted to authorise a third party to use your service or use the service for commercial purposes without our written permission. We believe your use of the service is in breach of TPG Standard Terms and Conditions, and we are considering terminating the services. If you do not believe you are in breach of your contract with TPG, please explanation your use of the service and provide supporting evidence within the next 7 days. If we do not hear from you, we may take further action without notice to you. TPG reserves all its rights against you in connection with the breach of contract.

(spelling mistakes and horrible grammar are because TPG monkeys wrote it I am guessing)

so to be clear, I am requesting the official amount of data we are allowed to download/upload on the Unlimited plans

@nhk Ok I see now.

So all you need do is provide the justification for the data use. Looks like an automated email sent out whereby TPG has a concern over the possible compromise of your network connection. All you need do is clarify that the data is legitimate fair use and matches is acceptable under our standard terms and conditions. TPG takes cyber security very seriously as all carriers should.

Seems like a legitimate concern to me. 

Its all outlined here:

https://www.tpg.com.au/terms_conditions/standard

Hope that helps!

DarylP

nhk
Level 3
Level 3

that doesn't help at all and it sure wasn't automated, so unless you can provide the official response from TPG in regards to this awful email received by many NBN unlimited customers how about you ask someone that works there who knows what they are talking about to provide a real response.

and what business is it of TPG's what I use my internet for? what ISP has ever asked a customer for specific proof of what they use their connection for? it's none of your business

The email reply I got was "thanks for your concern, due to privacy we cant tell you exactly why you received this blah blah blah"

well for privacy reasons no one should be telling you specifically what they use their unlimited connection for. I guess all of a sudden a whole bunch of NBN unlimited customers suddenly got compromised at the exact same time for you to trigger such a large amount of 'automatic' emails from the ADSL cancellation email address? is that the normal email address you use to send customers threatening emails about disconnecting them for using too much data?

adsl cancellations tpg email address seems a highly UNLIKELY address to be used for an automatic system

I would say the only likely truth here is that TPG sent these pathetic emails out threatening customers for using too much data and then came to the realisation that what they were doing would attract some great interest from the ACCC because TPG failed to understand what 'unlimited' means (no limits!) I would take a stab in the dark and say that's why the issue is being completely ignored by everyone that has ever been asked about it.

On top of that, How are unlimited NBN customers meant to even check their data usage when the usage meter has been disabled for many years on Unlimited plans? are we just meant to guess how much we have used and also guess the magical number you have set as a limit on an unlimited plan and hope they match up somewhere towards the end of the month

How is it that a once decent ISP could trash it's reputation in the blink of an eye with something so utterly retarded pathetic

If TPG feels someones connection is compromised, they don't get an email from the cancellation dropbox informing them to provide PROOF of exactly what and how they use their residential unlimited plan

KarenC

Dear All,

TPG offers residential plans which are not for commercial use. We have the right to query end users if we suspect services could be for commercial use, to ensure we manage our costs and continue providing the best value plans to our customers.

TPG has completed its investigations. If you haven’t received any termination notice from us, we will not be disconnecting the service.

Thank you for your continued support of TPG.

stannfrety
Level 3

still havent answered the question.

how many gigabytes is included on the unlimited NBN plan?

what do you consider to be a commericial amount?

you obviously have an indicator that is used to pick up on who you think is using your service for commercial purposes, why dont you let everyone know what it is

any chance you could link to something on your website which says you are allowed to do this "We have the right to query end users if we suspect services could be for commercial use"

what a **bleep** reply by the TPG staff

Japius
Level 2

I think its fine if they query if the useage was for commercial use, a simple yes or no reply should suffice...but from my understanding the letters that went out were not exactly that of a friendly check up more of a tell us all the details or else kind of feel...Perhaps TPG coudl work on how they approach this. I didnt get a letter but if I did my reply would have been "my useage is 100% personal"...Woudl that have satisfied TPG? If the answer is no and they want specific details then I would have had an issue with them asking

InfinityPlusTwo
Level 3
@stannfrety wrote:

you obviously have an indicator that is used to pick up on who you think is using your service for commercial purposes, why dont you let everyone know what it is

any chance you could link to something on your website which says you are allowed to do this "We have the right to query end users if we suspect services could be for commercial use"

A quick check of the TPG T&C at https://tpg.com.au/terms_conditions/standard indicates there are a range of conditions that the service cannot be used for. 

If TPG believed the service was being used for any of these reasons it makes sense that they would at least check with the user to see what was happening.

In regards to what was used to identify unusual usage, disclosing this would allow someone doing the wrong thing to circumvent the check. 

I have had a few occasions where my bank has picked up on odd activity on my card and called to let me know. Everything was okay but its good to know they are looking out for my account.

The relevent T&C would appear to be

7.6. The service is provided to you on the basis that it is used only for approved purposes. In particular you must:

1. (a) not use the service in any manner involving illegal, malicious, deceptive or misleading activity;
  2. (b) not breach any standards, content requirements or codes set out by any relevant authority or industry body;
  3. (c) not use the service in any way which interferes with the operations of the service network, anyone else's enjoyment of their service or which upsets or offends any person;
  4. (d) not use the service for commercial purposes or in any way distribute or resell the service without our written permission;

davorschwarz
Level 2

1. (d) not use the service for commercial purposes or in any way distribute or resell the service without our written permission;

So - any lawyers here. What is constituted commercial purposes? If i work from home as graphic designer and need to send a file to printer that is 500gb is that a commercial activity. If im on laptop working from home sick and doing the same, is that a commercial activity. If im doing a tutorial online to improve my status and knowledge to provide better services to my design clients, is that a commercial activity.

Get your lawyers to rewrite your terms and conditions for 2017 and not use the same arsed copy paste job from year 2000.