TPG Community

Get online support

How to split wifi into 2.5ghz and 5ghz on the Sagemcom Fast 5866T?

jot26
Level 2

Hi there,

I'm having issues connecting all my smart lights and devices to the 2.4GHZ because it keeps connecting to 5G. I checked the dashboard and it shows both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz under the same name and I'm unable to edit it either. Does anyone know how I can tackle this? Thanks!

9 REPLIES 9
Shane

Hi @jot26,

This is a post from one of the top community contributors.

Switch off Band Steering and you will be able to select and rename each band. Keeping it On makes devices automatically switch to the best available signal.

You might have to keep band steering off if you have a mix of 2.4G and 5G devices.

Source; https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Broadband-Internet/Disabling-5ghz-on-VX420-G2H/m-p/104387/highlight/...

Hi there,

I'm having issues connecting all my smart lights and devices to the 2.4GHZ because it keeps connecting to 5G. I checked the dashboard and it shows both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz under the same name and I'm unable to edit it either. Does anyone know how I can tackle this? Thanks!

jot26
Level 2

HI Shane,

Thnks for your response. I am unable to find the Wireless Settings (Advanced) in the safemcom admin page for some reason. All i see on the homepage is Mobile Config, Internet Connectivity, My safemcom box and access control. Tried finding for  band steering as well but no luck. I am hoping to see this screen in the dashboard (see attached photo) but mine isn't editable.

Is there an alternative solution?

Thanks.

BasilDV

Hi @jot26

On the given screenshot, could you go to the Advance tab under the WiFi configuration.

Also, have you tried changing the SSID on it? For you to be able to separate 2.4GHz and 5GHz band network?

BasilDV

jot26
Level 2
Oh that’s not my dashboard. That’s what I hope to see. My dashboard doesn’t have wifi configuration. Only mobile configuration.
BasilDV

Hi @jot26

Could you send me a screenshot of what you can see when you login to your modem interface?

Also, provide us your TPG username or customer ID number via PM.

BasilDV

misterpola
Level 2

Can you guys provide the instructions here so everyone else can see how to do this without having to PM you?

Unless this is not possible to do and you don't want people to know...

Shane

Hi @misterpola

Select Wireless Settings (Advanced).

Switch off Band Steering this will allow you to to select and rename each band/separate the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz.

Should you require more assistance, please let us know.

Regards,

Can you guys provide the instructions here so everyone else can see how to do this without having to PM you?

Unless this is not possible to do and you don't want people to know...

leob
Level 2
Hello,

I do not have the option of Wireless Settings. I have attached a screenshot of my dashboard. I cannot seem to find a setting to turn off band steering, is there any way to?
BasilDV

Hi @leob 

Try to open it using a different browser or a computer.

If it's still not available, reboot the modem/router.

Let us know how it goes.

BasilDV