TPG Community

Get online support

Internet (NBN) Constantly Dropping out

zqlon1
Level 2

Hello All,

Since I changed from the ADSL2+ to NBN Unlimited the connection keeps dropping out every now and then a couple of times a day constantly. Does anyone else have the same issue? Thank you.

3 REPLIES 3
Will

Hi @zqlon1 

Welcome to the Community!

We performed tests and from what we've gathered, your NBN box has been connected for 109 days without any interruption. On the other hand, the modem has been up for 21 hours at least. So if you had dropouts today, it appears that this could be an issue with the connection of your devices to the modem and/or vice versa. To help in checking this further, can you provide the following:

• Do you use WIFI connection only?
  • Are you having issues with computers connected using an ethernet cable to the modem as well?
  • Is it time specific?
  • What error do you get when you lose the connection?

Regards,

Will

zqlon1
Level 2
Hi Will,

Thank you for your prompt reply.

Do you use WIFI connection only?
Yes, WIFI only.

Are you having issues with computers connected using an ethernet cable to the modem as well?
I haven't tried the cable yet.

Is it time specific?
Randomly.

What error do you get when you lose the connection?
No error messages but when using computer connected with WIFI, the connection displays connected, no internet.

I have the Huawei HG659 modern. And the 2.4 wifi just disappeared suddenly even in the router it is enabled. Only the 5 GHz wifi is visible.

I use a TP-Link modern (W8970) connected to the Huawei and getting the 2.4 from the TP-Link.

Now I have 2.4 from TP-Link and 5.0 from Huawei. Both of them are not stable.

Can I actually use the TP-Link W8970 straight from the NBN modern?
Will

Hi @zqlon1 

It appears that the TP-Link WD8970 is an ADSL2+ modem only, so you won't be able to connect it directly to the NBN NTD box since you'll need VLAN ID tagging.

Based on the information you provided, the issue points to possible WIFI only. I suggest connecting a computer via ethernet. If the connection is stable on ethernet, then, try to disconnect the TP-Link modem completely and test if the WIFI connection is stable with just the Huawei modem on. This will eliminate possible interference between the WIFI networks of the two devices.

Let me know how it goes.