TPG Community

Get online support

Just want to confirm if my TP Link Archer V1600v2 modem is not locked to TPG as I have disconnected.

vinayshs89
Level 3

Just want to confirm if my TP Link Archer V1600v2 modem is not locked to TPG as I have disconnected. Please confirm, thank you.

Whenever I do a factory reset on the router, I can see that TPG DSL settings and credentials get pushed. I am deleting those and then trying to enter credentials for my new NBN connection from a different ISP but it isn't getting connected.

Requesting assistance. I have been a loyal customer to TPG for 2 years and I had to switch as you don't provide Static IP to residential plans. thank you.

8 REPLIES 8
david64
Level 15

Hi @vinayshs89 . The router is not locked to TPG. A factory reset on any router would require you to re-enter settings. If you save your settings and reboot router, are your settings remembered?

It is unlikely that you will be able to get firmware upgrades from TP-Link. There are some functions in the router that have been blocked by the TPG firmware.

vinayshs89
Level 3

@david64 wrote:

Hi @vinayshs89 . The router is not locked to TPG. A factory reset on any router would require you to re-enter settings. If you save your settings and reboot router, are your settings remembered?

It is unlikely that you will be able to get firmware upgrades from TP-Link. There are some functions in the router that have been blocked by the TPG firmware.

Hi @david64 Yes, TPG settings are being remembered even after doing a reboot with factory reset. Okay, thanks.

Do you know how long it takes for TPG to release me on the NBN line after received cancellation confirmation email with today as the cancellation date?

vinayshs89
Level 3

@david64 Can you please advise

david64
Level 15

@vinayshs89 . I didn't see the other part of your message.

As I understand it, TPG need 30 days notice of cancellation. You have to stay financial until the end of the 30 days. If the 30 days ends in the middle of billing cycle, I expect you would get refund of unused portion.

Are you out of contract? Early termination fees apply.

Check with your new provider. You may not have to wait for the 30 days before joining your new provider.

Also, porting out fee for your home phone if you have one.

cedlee72
Level 2

Hello, please advise if the TP Link VR1600v V2 modem is locked to TPG use only? I am using it on another ISP but the VoIP portion cannot be set up.

Thanks.

david64
Level 15

Hi @cedlee72 . The VoIP part of the VR1600 is locked to TPG. There are other functions not available with TPG firmware. You might be able to find a non-TPG firmware with the VoIP accessible.

cedlee72
Level 2
Hi David, it would be great if you are able to advise where we can get that non-TPG firmware to unlock the modem. That will surely benefit many folks. Thanks.
david64
Level 15

@cedlee72 . Check on TP-Link first. There is a version build 210413.  You could search the internet, maybe other internet providers. You could check DD-WRT which is open source replacement firmware, but that is a technical exercise.