Low download speed

SOLVED Go to solution
alanguide
Level 7

I'm in touch with TPG about this, so far without success. I'm putting this up publicly in case anyone has bright ideas, especially David!
Have VX420.
Just upgraded to FTTP (from FTTN). All good except download speed.
Ethernet connection to router.
100/20 plan. Getting 26/19. Obviously 19 up is fine, but 26 down much too low.
Tried without success: Reboot modem. Try another computer (Wi-Fi laptop results similar). NBN install perfect (watched it myself end to end, incl optical tests)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
alanguide
Level 7

Just to update any followers of this thread. Today TPG resolved the download speed issue. I am now getting 108/19 (ordered 100/20). Excellent patient work by all TPG people on phone and behind the scenes.

I'd also like to place on record my appreciation of Basil, Shane and David. Many thanks folks !

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
david64
Level 15

Hi @alanguide . Some things to try:

Config setting at TPG/NBN throttles connection or insufficient capacity
Cat 5e/6 cables
On wifi laptop, what wifi connection speed to router (>65 Mbps)
QoS/Bandwidth Control set? Not needed for download.
Does VX have traffic monitor like VR1600? Look at Traffic Monitor List. Any large activity?
Use ethernet computer to ping router. Response time should be up to 1 ms.
Ping with longer data length. ping -l 65000 .....
Response time up to 5 ms.
Login to router and find its default gateway address. I think this is the first bit of TPG infrastructure.
Ping it. Response time up to 5 ms.
Ping with longer data as above. Response time up to 134 ms.
Data has 44 ethernet frames; gateway returns full data length.
The response times above are on my NBN25 connection, Win7 laptop on ethernet.
When I went from ADSL to NBN, my Win7 ethernet driver changed how it worked. I went from 100Mbps LAN port to 1Gbps LAN port. I had to disable Energy Efficient Ethernet to get proper operation.

alanguide
Level 7

@david64 wrote:

Hi @alanguide . Some things to try:

Config setting at TPG/NBN throttles connection or insufficient capacity
Cat 5e/6 cables

On wifi laptop, what wifi connection speed to router (>65 Mbps)
QoS/Bandwidth Control set? Not needed for download.
Does VX have traffic monitor like VR1600? Look at Traffic Monitor List. Any large activity?
Use ethernet computer to ping router. Response time should be up to 1 ms.
Ping with longer data length. ping -l 65000 .....
Response time up to 5 ms.
Login to router and find its default gateway address. I think this is the first bit of TPG infrastructure.
Ping it. Response time up to 5 ms.
Ping with longer data as above. Response time up to 134 ms.
Data has 44 ethernet frames; gateway returns full data length.
The response times above are on my NBN25 connection, Win7 laptop on ethernet.
When I went from ADSL to NBN, my Win7 ethernet driver changed how it worked. I went from 100Mbps LAN port to 1Gbps LAN port. I had to disable Energy Efficient Ethernet to get proper operation.

Thansk for the ideas, David!

Results:
Cat 6. Short leads

WiFi (laptop): Slightly lower speed unless very near, as would be expected.

Incidentally, only desktop has antivirus so laptop test being same eliminates that possible cause.

No QoS or bandwidth setting on my Tp-Link VX420.

Could not find traffic monitor list.

Router ping <1 OK.

*******Ping -1 not an option. What did you mean? (W10)

Default gateway ping <4ms.

*******I read somewhere that it might be possible to conncet a desktop straight to the NBN NTD. This would by-pas the router. Is that possible with TPG? Obviously it would be necessary to adjust the 'network' settings on the desktop...

david64
Level 15

@alanguide .

Advanced, System Tools, Traffic Monitor? Menus look so similar to VR1600.

What router did you use prior to VX?

If you can eliminate wifi devices, use Windows Task Manager Networking tab to check Windows activity.

-l 65000    is lower case L. Response times here should be about 4 times better than mine.

-n   and number to repeat more times

You can run multiple command windows to increase the load on router and external network.

Or use 2 computers.

You have to create a PPPoE dialler in Windows. There's internet articles for that.

alanguide
Level 7

STOP PRESS! I have now tested the speed using a mobile hotspot, with the router turned off, so this entirely eliminates all components of the fibre infrastructure (FAN, MPT, etc) as well as the router and cabling. Results are the same. Download on  100 plan just 26

Previous test with the laptop eliminated the desktop.

So it is *conclusive* that it is a TPG setting at their end.

MODS please be kind and pass this to engineers. I do not think I should be paying for 100 and getting 26! Especially as the results are the same at all times of day (ie not congestion)

alanguide
Level 7

Thanks for further clarification David!  See my STOP PRESS. Obviates all tests at this end I think you'll agree.

Shane

Hi @alanguide 

I responded to your message via PM. Kindly check your inbox.

Regards,

STOP PRESS! I have now tested the speed using a mobile hotspot, with the router turned off, so this entirely eliminates all components of the fibre infrastructure (FAN, MPT, etc) as well as the router and cabling. Results are the same. Download on  100 plan just 26

Previous test with the laptop eliminated the desktop.

So it is *conclusive* that it is a TPG setting at their end.

MODS please be kind and pass this to engineers. I do not think I should be paying for 100 and getting 26! Especially as the results are the same at all times of day (ie not congestion)

alanguide
Level 7

Just to update any followers of this thread. Today TPG resolved the download speed issue. I am now getting 108/19 (ordered 100/20). Excellent patient work by all TPG people on phone and behind the scenes.

I'd also like to place on record my appreciation of Basil, Shane and David. Many thanks folks !