TPG Community

Get online support

Microsoft Teams Blocked from 19 October

Shane

Hi @SteveB

Let us raise this to one of our Senior Technicians to conduct assessment and investigation. Could you shoot us a PM with your best contact time.

Regards,

I can connect to Teams if I use my phone's hotspot, it's only going through the ISP/router combination the issue happens.

As for Microsoft, they probably don't go beyond proving their stuff is all OK.

Our support remoted in and did Fiddler logs, again going to be sent to Microsoft, no answer yet.

It's likely a recent security protocol enforcement by something in the chain.

As I said, our organisation is paranoid security wise and likely use very recent features that old, obsolete routers etc don't get unless they are updated or replaced.

There has never been a firmware upgrade to my router since going FTTP because there isn't one.

We don't live in a world where that is acceptable any more.

I may have to get a new router and see if it fixes the issue.

One colleague on iiNet was fine but they had a high end gaming router so I suspect that the default router is the likely problem.

Regards

Steve

SteveB
Level 3

@Shane wrote:

Hi @SteveB

Let us raise this to one of our Senior Technicians to conduct assessment and investigation. Could you shoot us a PM with your best contact time.

Regards,

I can connect to Teams if I use my phone's hotspot, it's only going through the ISP/router combination the issue happens.

As for Microsoft, they probably don't go beyond proving their stuff is all OK.

Our support remoted in and did Fiddler logs, again going to be sent to Microsoft, no answer yet.

It's likely a recent security protocol enforcement by something in the chain.

As I said, our organisation is paranoid security wise and likely use very recent features that old, obsolete routers etc don't get unless they are updated or replaced.

There has never been a firmware upgrade to my router since going FTTP because there isn't one.

We don't live in a world where that is acceptable any more.

I may have to get a new router and see if it fixes the issue.

One colleague on iiNet was fine but they had a high end gaming router so I suspect that the default router is the likely problem.

Regards

Steve

Update on this issue:

Microsoft have so far been unable to determine what is being broken in the security VPN chain but that investigation is ongoing. (there are several of us with this issue)

I borrowed a TP-Link AX6000 router and it works fine!

This means that the old Archer C1200 (V1) router as supplied by TPG is the issue, something new security wise is not able to be transmitted via my work VPN client (Cisco AnyConnect).

There is no later firmware for the old router so it's way obsolete.

TPG need to have a router update/obselecense policy as it is essential to support all modern security protocols given the wild west internet bandits these days.

I don't know what TPG plan to do about their old routers, the situation can only get worse as more software utilises the latest security protocols.

Regards

Steve

david64
Level 15

@SteveB . Does your work have its own Teams server, or does all your Teams traffic head off into the internet?

If work has its own server, the Security team with assistance from the Network team could check the datastreams from your home connection to see the difference between the C1200 and the AX6000.