TPG Community

Get online support

NBN Dropouts & slow download - Gold Coast, Benowa 4217

SOLVED Go to solution
Silvergum23
Level 2

Speedtest from a different computer from the same household over wifi.

Frequent dropouts experienced, varying between 1-5 most nights.

Shane

Hi @Silvergum23,

Thanks for raising this to us.

Actual throughput speeds may be slower and could vary due to many factors including type/source of content being downloaded, hardware and software configuration, the number of users simultaneously using the network and performance of interconnecting infrastructure not operated by TPG. Devices connected by Wi-Fi may experience slower speeds than those connected by Ethernet cable.

To get the actual speed of the service on the line, run a speed test on a desktop/laptop connected via LAN/Ethernet cable, on this particular case the speed issue could be caused by Wireless Interference.

We did an article that you may find helpful, this will guide you on how to eliminate the Wireless Interference and improve the wireless/Wi-Fi connection at home, please see links below.

Let us know how it will go.

Speedtest from a different computer from the same household over wifi.

Frequent dropouts experienced, varying between 1-5 most nights.

garythomann13
Level 6

+ Ping of 9-12ms, Download of 15-18 Mbps, Upload of 35-38 Mbps on a 100 Mbps plan

Still partying with the same issue.

I appreciate that the third party tech that came yesterday (thu 5-11-2020) was knowledgeable, thorough and open about what he could look at and the results of the tests he could see.

I appreciate that TPG support; 1,2,3 level and engineers do not have an easy job when things go awry.

But something is wrong since going onto week three now.  The 1/4 download issue is consitent.  It is not like we are chasing an inconsistent unknown; 24/7 we get 1/4 download (and 1/5 what we paid for Smiley Happy) less download speed.

You have a history of support issues at your fingertips and lots of common threads to follow.

What are your next steps to resolution?  Has this happened before?

SteveK
Level 5

This to me is an obvious suggestion, so I guess you have heard it many times by tech support, but here goes.

Have you done a full factory reset of your modem?

Do a full factory reset and DO NOT adjust any default settings until you establish that it is now working perfectly.

If that doesn't work, go get a new modem.

Shane

Hi @garythomann13,

One of our Engineers tried to contact you earlier today to provide the update on the ongoing investigation of the escalated fault, but no avail, please confirm your best contact number and preferred time.

Regards,

+ Ping of 9-12ms, Download of 15-18 Mbps, Upload of 35-38 Mbps on a 100 Mbps plan

Still partying with the same issue.

I appreciate that the third party tech that came yesterday (thu 5-11-2020) was knowledgeable, thorough and open about what he could look at and the results of the tests he could see.

I appreciate that TPG support; 1,2,3 level and engineers do not have an easy job when things go awry.

But something is wrong since going onto week three now.  The 1/4 download issue is consitent.  It is not like we are chasing an inconsistent unknown; 24/7 we get 1/4 download (and 1/5 what we paid for Smiley Happy) less download speed.

You have a history of support issues at your fingertips and lots of common threads to follow.

What are your next steps to resolution?  Has this happened before?

alan_chan55
Level 3

Hi 

I am have the same issue of slow and drop outs the past 3 months and more so the past week. My observations 

1     TPG do not call you as they claimed in their SMS as you will not find their number on your phone or Mobile caller ID. They have been insisitng that my mobile is not contactable whilst I get all their SMSs. This why I ask for calls to my landline

2      The Techs and Engineers cant fix the issues when the controlling of the download speed is beyond them

3       What is most annoying is we all can live with technical issues once in a while but not all the running around they subject you through with so poor explanations. I was told to expect a call with the standard SMS from 04 Nov and again 07 Nov.  Only had a call after 4 days. It quite hard to blame the tech staff and engineers as the problem is not within their control. That does not give them the excuse to giving the customer the run around

4       I spoken to a Telecommunication engineer on the NBN set up and from my understanding is NBN supplies 100mbps to the NBN box on the wall and the speed is trim by  your telco to your bundle on the modem. If the telco has oversold their capacity your download and upload speed drops to a stage that it cuts out. I am beginning to see that the so call technical issue is the speed control govern by the capacity. Chances are if the product is over sold the supply can not meet the demand as we run into interruption of supply  Of course there are the 5% of breakdown of hardware, cable and home wiring.  NBN has the capacity and its up to the telcos to purchase thier requirements

It would be very nice if others can share their inputs and observations. I feel that all the drop out does not point to a technical issue as such but as supply and demand issue. Thats why the tech staff do not have an answer for 95% of the problem

Alan Chan

garythomann13
Level 6

Thanks for everyones inputs, much appreciated.  Was away.

Yes I did receive a call while away but no point answering till I am home and on my network.

Running speed tests this morning and back to normal with download, 80-90 Mpbs via ethernet.  Wifi is about half that.  I test that by disconnecting my eth cable and manually connecting the laptop wifi.

Will monitor and see how things go.  I have not done the modem factory reset which is a good idea.  It is 'as is' when installed by NBN with no fiddling by me.

yF7kVJQeLc.pngtjQVbPPhmK.png

SteveK
Level 5

@garythomann13 wrote:

I have not done the modem factory reset which is a good idea.

Given it only takes 3 mins, highly recommended.

garythomann13
Level 6

+ Ping of 9-12ms, Download of 80-90 Mbps, Upload of 35-38 Mbps on a 100 Mbps plan

> status normal all day today within the above ranges

garythomann13
Level 6

+ Ping of 9-12ms, Download of 80-90 Mbps, Upload of 35-38 Mbps on a 100 Mbps plan

The magic is still continuing with 'normal' parameters as above.  Day 2, still solid with me checking almost hourly.  Welcome to my new career checking whether you are getting what you paid for Smiley Happy

> phone call from TPG tech support;  Tue  2:20pm 10-Nov-2020.  Reiterated that NBN provide 100Mbps to the termination point outside the home.  They were going to send a TPG tech over to investigate but told them they are welcome to drop by but without the issue being consistent as before then there would be nothing to work with.

> TPG tech support are going to close the ticket, which to me is a bit early, unless they know/did something that resolved the issue ...