TPG Community

Get online support

NBN Drops Out When Streaming 4K Content

Hardy
Level 2

Back again and I'm now realising that TPG is one of the worst companies for the future of Australian Internet.

I upgraded my NBN package to 100/40 in the hopes I could stream some games on Twitch without looking like ass. I can stream on Twitch for about 5 minutes before the Internet drops out and the only way of regaining Internet connection is a hard reset to the router. So there goes streaming games.

Weeks go by and not a problem. I decided to purchase a UHD 4K TV and I connect the TV using Ethernet and start streaming 4K content (3840 × 2160) @ about 81000 kbps from Youtube and you wouldn't guess what happens..........the Internet drops out ! So I connect the TV using Wifi and stream the same video but at 2560 x 1440 and not a problem.

Looks like TPG can't handle large chunks of data streaming a once. Now keep in mind this is all being done at peak hours* and I'm the only one in the house. Everything is off besides my phone. The fault could be with the supplied Netcom router but I really don't know all I know is that I can't stream any high resolution content during peak hours*. Works fine during the day but I work a 9-5 job like a lot of people.

Sorry for the rant but when you pay top dollar for their top service you would think you would get top results. 

5 REPLIES 5
Shane

Hi @Hardy,

Thanks for raising this to us. I'd love to help and see what is causing the drop-out.

Have you tried running a speed test on wired connection just to see what speed you're getting on the line?

( if yes, Kindly post the screen shot of the result )

I'd also like to know if you're able to test streaming 4K video on a different streaming site and see if it also happened? (i.e Netflix, Vimeo)

I'll wait for your response.

Cheers!

Hardy
Level 2
Yeah have run speed tests on my main computer that is using Ethernet. Sorry can't post a screen shot as I'm at work but I know at that time I get about 88 down 30 up.
I can stream all the 4k content I want on my main computer but when I connect the tv with Ethernet and load something from YouTube or Netflix it drops the internet.
The WWW. light goes out on the NetComm router and I can fix it with a hard reset.
Shane

Thanks for the additional details, @Hardy.

I'd like to arrange a call from one of our Technicians for further tests and investigation.

Kindly, Pm me your account details (username/customer ID) kindly include your best contact number and preferred time today.

Regards,

Shane

Hi @Hardy,

Thanks for sending me your details. I have arranged one of our Technicians to contact you on your preferred time. Please let me know how it will go. :

Cheers! Smiley Happy

Shane

Hi @Hardy,

We can see that one of our Technicians has been in touch with you and the issue is now being fixed. Please let me know should you require further assistance.

Smiley Very Happy

Cheers!