TPG Community

Get online support

NBN FTTP Phone service - BYO modem

eckychan
Level 2

Hi there

For NBN FTTP connection, can I use BYO modem and still have TPG phone service? (Since the phone connects directly to NCB)

I understand that the modem needs to be part of the plan in order to get voice service.

Thanks

Ecky

9 REPLIES 9
Shane

Welcome to the community, eckychan.

Yes, you can use your own modem/router for TPG-NBN FTTP as long as it NBN ready. Smiley Happy

Let us know should you require further assistance.

Regards,

Hi there

For NBN FTTP connection, can I use BYO modem and still have TPG phone service? (Since the phone connects directly to NCB)

I understand that the modem needs to be part of the plan in order to get voice service.

Thanks

Ecky

mmnpkf
Level 2

Hi,

I have basically the same question except I want to know why I need to purchase a TPG modem if the phone plugs into the NBN Connection Box?  I already have a router and so have no use for the TPG modem.  Why am I forced to buy a TPG modem (that does nothing) in order to get a phone service?

Thanks,

Patrick

Shane

Hi, mmnpkf

I believe getting TPG modem/router is optional based on user's preferrence in the event that they already have existing router or modem.You may check, https://www.tpg.com.au/nbn.

Regards,

Hi,

I have basically the same question except I want to know why I need to purchase a TPG modem if the phone plugs into the NBN Connection Box?  I already have a router and so have no use for the TPG modem.  Why am I forced to buy a TPG modem (that does nothing) in order to get a phone service?

Thanks,

Patrick

mmnpkf
Level 2

Thanks for the reply Shane. May I ask if you are a TPG employee?  I ask because if you are not then you probably cannot help me.  In essence you are correct that the TPG modem is optional but when I attempt to place an order with TPG I am told that if I choose not to purchase a TPG modem then I will not get a phone service. I tried calling the sales number but unfortunately sales seems to be staffed by people who have just been given standard scripts and their script also says that if I do not purchase a TPG modem then I do not get a phone service.  While I understand that FTTP may be less common than other connection types, from what I have read on the TPG website, I do not need a TPG modem if I have FTTP as the phone plugs into the NBN Connection Box, not the TPG modem.  I would like to transfer my internet service to TPG but I don't want to spend $100+ on a modem that I don't need or want.  Does that make sense?  Do you know if there is anyone contactable at TPG that doesn't work from a script.  Or am I just going to have suck it up and throw away $100+ if I want to transfer to TPG? Sorry about the long post but I am baffled by TPG's inflexibility on this.

Thanks, Patrick

Angeli

Hi Patrick, 

I can understand if you do not wish to purchase a modem from us and if you choose to use a 3rd party router, that is definitely fine however, The company has made a business decision to not make the VOIP settings available for 3rd party routers at the moment. This is also standard for NBN internet only service applications. 

Let me know if you have further questions.

Regards, 

Angeli

mmnpkf
Level 2

Thank you for the prompt reply Angeli. You seem to be implying something which is not at all clear on the TPG website.  If I read your message correctly, you are saying that despite the fact that the telephone handset is plugged directly into the NBN Connection Box (in the case of the site having FTTP) there is still a technical requirement to have the TPG router provide VoIP funcionality.  That is, it is technically impossible to provide a phone service purely from the NBN Connecion Box.  Is that correct?  If so, then what is the point of plugging the handset into the NBN Connection Box?  Why not just plug it into the VoIP port of the router?

Thanks,

Patrick

Angeli

Hi @mmnpkf

If you have NBN FTTP and applied for an NBN internet only plan, then there will be no phone service regardless if you have connected a telephone handset on the NTD box. 

Regards, 

Angeli

mmnpkf
Level 2

My apologies Angeli, I must not have asked my question clearly enough.  Given that I have FTTP and I want a phone service, TPG requires that I order a TPG router.  However, the FTTP guide on the TPG website says that I should plug my phone handset into the NBN Connection Box - not the TPG router.  So, if I order the TPG router, so that I can get the phone service, but plug my phone handset into the NBN Conneciton Box, do I actually need to install the TPG router or can I use my own router and simply put the TPG router in the cupboard?

Thanks,

Patrick

Angeli

Hi Patrick, 

The phone should work even if you use a 3rd party router for your NBN FTTP service. Note that it is applicable if you have NBN bundle with us. Let me know if you have further questions. 

Cheers!