TPG Community

Get online support

NBN HFC Frequent Dropouts

nishaiyer09
Level 3

Hi,

Our NBN connection keeps dropping out. We've noticed this happens several times during the day, sometimes several times during an hour.

We have a HFC connection with a black NBN box which is connected to the TPG Modem.

The following are the observations during the connection dropout:

1) TPG Modem "internet" light goes off (But all 4 NBN box lights are still on).

2) After 5-10mins the NBN box restarts automatically and all 4 lights turn back on in sequence.

3) 2 min after restarting the "internet" light on the TPG modem and the connection is back.

Alternatively, restarting the manually NBN box helps. But it looks like whenever the drop out happens after 5-10 min of no internet the NBN box automatically restarts and things are fine.

However, this is unacceptable for us, as often I have to connect into work - especially, when I'm working from home and cannot afford to have such consistent dropouts. We tried contacting TPG a couple of times but the line seems to be usually busy with up to an hour wait.

Any assistance in fixing this issue will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
Riezl

Hi @nishaiyer09,

For customers experiencing any issues with their service, we recommend the best thing to do first is check if there's an outage.

Check our Service Status page for any known outages.

If you're on NBN, we have created this article that can guide you on How to Check for NBN Network Outage

If there are no known outages in your area, you can proceed with the troubleshooting steps indicated on this link : Troubleshooting No Internet Connection

In your case, the issue has been raised to NBN Co. and we may need to send a technician to fix the dropouts issue.

nishaiyer09
Level 3

Hi @Riezl 

Thanks for your reply.

I've checked the outage status and troubleshooted accordingly before making the post. As mentioned the internet connection is available, but it drops out irratically which is unreasonable given we are paying for a consistent service, not interrupted every hour service. As mentioned in the original post I've clearly laid out the steps that happen when there is a dropout which lasts for ~10 mins.

This doesn't seem like an uncommon problem with the HFC connection as I've seen a lot of other posts where a technician was needed to help resolve the problem.

The technician appointment has been booked. I will let you know the status after the appointment.

nishaiyer09
Level 3

Hi @Riezl ,

NBN technician was supposed to arrive today between 8-12am. No one has arrived yet. Could you please follow up with this and please report to NBN? This is a huge inconvenience.

I've tried to call and tried online chat but the wait times are ridiculous.

nishaiyer09
Level 3

Hi @Riezl ,

Technician is a no show yesterday and I still haven't received any call/SMS from TPG engineering team (please see DM). What is the status of this? Are they going to send someone out?

Riezl

Hi @nishaiyer09, we can see that an NBN technician was scheduled to come out yesterday to fix the issue. We are yet to receive an update from NBN Co. regarding the outcome of the technician visit, but our Engineering Team is closely monitoring your case and the case engineer will be in touch once a new update becomes available.

We have checked the status of your connection and it shows stable for more than 23 hours now.

Should you need further assistance, feel free to search community for help or chat with us at https://www.tpg.com.au/support/contact/  and we'd be glad to assist you.

nishaiyer09
Level 3

Hi @Riezl,

After the technician's visit it seems that the internet is a lot more stable. Technician found that the cables in the NBN tap were swapped during install, he also swapped the NBN modem.

However, still experiencing some drop outs few times a day. Still it's a lot better than before. Is there any more that can be done, or is it just expected that a few drop outs will happen during the day?