TPG Community

Get online support

NBN Speed randomly changes

doogie85
Level 2

I am currently experiencing random slow internet speeds throughout the day and night. When this occurs the speed of my internet drops to 2Mbps even though I am on a NBN 100 plan. 

I have spoken with TPG on several occassions but have not had any luck with fixing the issue. 

Is anyone else experiencing this? How might it be fixed? 

6 REPLIES 6
david64
Level 15

Hi @doogie85 . What type of NBN connection do you have? What model router?

How often does the low speed occur and for how long?

Need to get response times when you have normal operation and when you have the low speed.

Do these commands on an ethernet computer, or, if only wifi, use 5G band close to router.

If wifi, what wifi connection speed is reported on the device?

ping -n 20 192.168.1.1          (pings the router; should be 1 ms response)

tracert -d www.tpg.com.au       (do it 3 times to get average times)

The second address in tracert is the router's default gateway; a "10" address.

ping -n 20 10.x.y.z        (the default gateway address above)

You could post the good results and bad results here.

Ahra_G

Hi @doogie85

You can post the results here as advised by @david64

You can also provide us with your Customer ID or username via private message so we can have the chance to check  and see if there is any underlying connection issue that you may be experiencing. 

Thanks! 

Ahra_G

doogie85
Level 2
Connection is fibre to the node
Router is whatever the standard one is that TPG send out
The slow speed occurs randomly, it might be good for a few days and then go slow at in the morning and come good by the afternoon.
This has been happening on and off since the start of 2021.
It doesn’t matter how many devices I have connected, whether I have 1 or 10 the issue still happens.
Speed drops to almost nothing whenever it rains.
Funnily always seems to get better after I call TPG to talk about it.

What do these tests show?
I’m sick of TPG telling me that there is an issue with how I have things connected or that there is no problem with the NBN or their router.
Shane

Hi @doogie85,

If the dropout occurs whenever it rains it indicates a potential issue on the line itself, send us your account details so we can proceed with initial tests. We'll wait for your details.

Regards,

Connection is fibre to the node
Router is whatever the standard one is that TPG send out
The slow speed occurs randomly, it might be good for a few days and then go slow at in the morning and come good by the afternoon.
This has been happening on and off since the start of 2021.
It doesn’t matter how many devices I have connected, whether I have 1 or 10 the issue still happens.
Speed drops to almost nothing whenever it rains.
Funnily always seems to get better after I call TPG to talk about it.

What do these tests show?
I’m sick of TPG telling me that there is an issue with how I have things connected or that there is no problem with the NBN or their router.
doogie85
Level 2

The issue has happened again today and when I contacted TPG I was informed my ticket was closed and that to start looking into the issue again I would need to start the testing again and speak with engineering. 

I have already completed initial tests and spoken with the engineering team about this - why do I need to do this again? 

Test results for the ping - across 3 tests between 16 and 79ms

Tracert test result shows anywhere between 6 and 10ms

Current speed is 22mbs download and 17 upload

What should these test results be? 

I spoke with NBN directly and they have advised that TPG can log a ticket against my address and NBN will provide assistance with identifying and fixing the issue. No ticket has been raised at this stage. 

TPG first advised that they spoke with NBN and then advised they had not, before refusing to raise a ticket with NBN. 

Further, I have been advised that the 'programming team' are now looking into the problem (despite my tickety being closed). Why are a programming team looking into a speed issue? 

Ahra_G

Hi @doogie85,

Very concerning to hear your issues are still ongoing. We'll give you a hand here and do what we can to get you sorted.

We've sent you a PM so you can provide your TPG account details. 

Thank you!