TPG Community

Get online support

Network speed on Android

SOLVED Go to solution
Winles
Level 2

My question regards a connection to an android 10 TV box (10/100mbps) showing a lower download speed than an upload speed on an ethernet TPG speed test - and significantly lower compared to the same test on a windows 10 laptop. It also confuses me when comparing the TPG test results to either an Ookla test or a Google test as there are significant differences.

Download test results on the TPG test show 121.2mbps for the laptop and 22.1mbps for the android 10. Ookla test show 176.7mbps for the laptop and 94.8mbps for the android 10. Google test shows 198.4mbps for laptop and 44.1mbps for android 10. (Modem is the TPG supplied TP link archer 1600).

Can you advise why the performance is so different across devices and suggest what could be done to improve the android TV box connection speed (if possible).

Thankyou

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
BasilDV

Hi @Winles

The commonly used is the Ookla speed test.

BasilDV

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
BasilDV

Hi @Winles

Welcome to the Community!

Since your laptop is getting a good connection speed, you may check if the Android 10 TV box needs a software update.

Have you also tried a factory reset on your TV Box? If not, please try it as well to check if it's going to improve the connection speed that it will get.

You may also contact the support center of the TV Box for further assistance.

BasilDV

Winles
Level 2

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I have swapped the android box for another android box with a similar configuration and the result remains the same over the tests. I will try your suggestion for a factory reset but wonder if that will mean I will lose the apps I have on that box?

One aspect of the different types of speed tests that does confuse is the significant difference in (say) the TPG test at 22.1mbps and Ookla at 94.8mbps - which one is likly to be most correct?

Thanks again 

BasilDV

Hi @Winles

The commonly used is the Ookla speed test.

BasilDV