TPG Community

Get online support

New nbn account, hooked up modems but cannot get connection

Steve7
Level 4

I am a new nbn customer changing from copper-wire phone. I have received the "awaiting activation" sms and connected the boxes as per the FTTC Setup Guide. I have only the power led steady and the next one flashing on the nbn box, and the power led and the two wifi leds on the tplink modem. Have I connected too early?

21 REPLIES 21
Riezl

Hi @Steve7 ,

For new services, we recommend customers to check if their service has been installed and activated.

We have created this community article, which contains a video on How to track your TPG service installation

We also send an email notification once the service is activated.

If you have received this email and the service is still not working, we recommend to check if the equipment is properly set up and we have created setup guides for all technologies that TPG use : New Connection Setup Help

For us to further assist you, please send us a private message with your TPG customer ID, username and complete address so we can pull up the account.

To send a PM, please refer to this link: How do I private message (PM) in the community

Steve7
Level 4

Status update: I have used the

Check Installation Progress tool at
https://www.tpg.com.au/support/trackmyorder
and it says "Installation: Your installation is progressing".

Can I assume I don't need to contact you further and you will already be arranging for the NBN technician to do the changeover in the pit? Will you advise me when this will be?

Why didn't any of your instruction pages tell me that this step would be needed?

Shane

Hi @Steve7,

Is this a newly migrated NBN service from ADSL? If so, the changes requires in the pit will be done by NBN technician during the installation day.

All the installation details will be provided via email once the appointment schedule becomes available. 

This will be sent via email if not one of our NBN provisioning case manager will contact you for any changes or update

Regards,

Status update: I have used the

Check Installation Progress tool at
https://www.tpg.com.au/support/trackmyorder
and it says "Installation: Your installation is progressing".

Can I assume I don't need to contact you further and you will already be arranging for the NBN technician to do the changeover in the pit? Will you advise me when this will be?

Why didn't any of your instruction pages tell me that this step would be needed?

Steve7
Level 4

To repeat the first sentence of my first post "I am a new nbn customer changing from copper-wire phone" - with no previous internet at all.

The day after my modems were delivered, someone from TPG rang asking if I had connected yet. (The line wasn't very good, and his accent wasn't very good, so I can only say what I think he said.)

The FTTC Setup Guide gives the impression that all the boxes should be fully connected, including plugging the nbn box into the telephone wall socket. I asked him if I should do this, even though my phone still had dial tone. He kept talking about "connecting it up". Does it make any sense to connect the nbn box to the wall socket when there is dial tone? Now you say "the changes required in the pit will be done by NBN technician during the installation day". There was not one word about this in all the preliminary advice. Do you wait for me to tell you I've done the connecting-up as far as it will go before you arrange the nbn tech, or do you just go ahead with it anyway? Can I even be sure that is now being arranged for my connection?

Steve7
Level 4

Also, according to your instructions, am I currently supposed to have the nbn box plugged into the telephone wall socket, or not?

Shane

Hi @Steve7,

The guide is only applicable once the installation is completed. You will be sent an email notification confirming the installation date and timeframe. We will also notify you if a technician appointment is required to install your NBN service.

Send me your account details and I will confirm the status of your application.

Regards,

Also, according to your instructions, am I currently supposed to have the nbn box plugged into the telephone wall socket, or not?

Steve7
Level 4

You say "The guide is only applicable once the installation is completed". So what am I to do about an sms that says "TPG Important Reminder: Your NBN service is awaiting activation. You're REQUIRED (my capitals) to connect your NBN modem" and then gives a link to the Guide that is not applicable yet? And then someone rings asking if I have connected yet?

THIS IS VERY MISLEADING.

I have been going through the posts at the bottom of the "Solved: NBN Fibre to the Curb (FTTC) Setup Guide" page and there seem to be some people who are exactly in my situation (nbn box power led lit steady, next one flashing), and others who could be but don't give enough details to be sure.

Why don't you make your instructions clearer?

Steve7
Level 4

And stop your people ringing when it's too soon?

Steve7
Level 4

Also you say "IF (my capitals) a technician appointment is required to install your NBN service." Isn't it bleeding obvious that a new FTTC connection cannot work until the wires are changed over in the pit, and an nbn technician will have to come and do that? If you say "He's going to the pit, not to your place," isn't it also obvious that when he has done the changeover he will want to know if it is working, and to do that he will need to ask me and I will need to be at home?