TPG Community

Get online support

New nbn account, hooked up modems but cannot get connection

Steve7
Level 4

Also, the Setup Guide says

Before you get started, you’ll need 3 things

Numbers 2 and 3 are the TPG Modem and the NBN Network Connection Device, which were already delivered. Number 1 is:

"1. A message from us advising you to plug in your NBN FTTC equipment"

and immediately below that is an image of a smartphone showing EXACTLY the SMS that I mentioned above.

HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO KNOW THE GUIDE IS NOT APPLICABLE YET?

Riezl

Hi @Steve7, we have raised your concern to our Provisioning Team and a Case Manager will be in touch to address the concerns raised. If you have a preferred contact number and time, please send it via private message. 

We apologise for any inconvenience.

Steve7
Level 4
Apologising is easy. People do it all the time. If you are sincere, you will:
1) Change the "awaiting activation" sms that is sent soon after the modems are delivered so that it only mentions connecting the modems together and powering them up.
2) Change the FTTC Setup Guide so that the first three steps do NOT include connecting the NBN box to the telephone wall socket, and the Guide tells people what Shane told me in one of the posts above: that this last step should only be done after receiving an email notification confirming the installation date and timeframe, and also what he did not tell me but that people would probably be interested in knowing, that for a new FTTC connection a technician appointment WILL BE required "to install your NBN service," ie: to change over the wires in the pit.

Will you make these changes, to make things clearer for people who do this installation in the future?

... But yes, I have now been informed about a technician appointment for the changeover for my new FTTC.
Steve7
Level 4

... Two days and no response from a Moderator.

Why wouldn't someone agree to change misleading instructions when they are pointed out?

Ahra_G

Hi @Steve7 

We have since raised and chased the installation status of your service to NBN Co. 

Please note that we rely on NBN Co to provide the service therefore, we are subjected to their connection timeframe, activation, repair as well as scheduling. 

You may check NBN Co's website to check and compare if you perceive that the given instructions were misleading. As a reseller, we follow the process accordingly as advised by the wholesale provider.

Furthermore, there are instances that a connection may or may not work on the installation day; once the issue is reported to the ISP after the activaton attempt, we then raise it to NBN Co in order to schedule a NBN tech visit. 

Further updates will be communicated via phone call or SMS. 

-Ahra_G

Steve7
Level 4

Someone from TPG has already contacted me, and I have no problem with "the installation status of my service to NBN Co," or with "their connection timeframe, activation, repair as well as scheduling".

I don't want to "check NBN Co's website to check and compare if you perceive that the given instructions were misleading". I was given the instructions by TPG, not by NBN. If NBN's intructions are also misleading, isn't that a chance for TPG to show that you are better than they are?

"As a reseller, we follow the process accordingly as advised by the wholesale provider." Does that mean that if (only "if") NBN provide misleading instructions, you are also required to provide misleading instructions?

"... there are instances that a connection may or may not work on the installation day ...". For me that hasn't happened yet; I will complain about that when the time comes ... Only kidding.

24 hours before my technician's appointment (which is very soon), I received another SMS from TPG inviting me to "watch a very important 2-minute video". The link "link.tpg.com.au/hgzDYj" is the SAME one you sent on the very first day I signed up, 8 days ago. It tells me to plug the NBN Connection Device to the phone socket on the wall. It says nothing about still having dial tone.

Why would I unplug a working phone in order to "activate" a system that has NO CHANCE of working until the NBN technician makes the changeover? PHONE DISCONNECTED FOR 8 DAYS, FOR NO REASON ?????

I'm still waiting for a MEANINGFUL answer to the question I asked on 12-07-2021 02:29 PM.

Steve7
Level 4
NBN technician has come as per appointment, connected tracer to phone plug in the house, then up the pole, in the pit, changeover completed in about 30 minutes. Internet LED came up within minutes (didn't need "15 or 20"). Internet and phone working fine (but dialling-in waiting for Telstra to port the number).
SO THAT'S GOOD!
But when the tech first rang, he said "You've got issues?" I don't have "issues", I just need the standard FTTC changeover. So TPG can't give even NBN an accurate description of the job being booked.

So Mr Moderator, I guess you're only too eager to sign this thread off as "Solved", but I still want to know why your instructions can't be changed to give your future new FTTC customers a more accurate understanding of how the changeover will go.
Angeli

Hi @Steve7

Here's our response to your post on 12-07-2021 02:29 PM. 

1. Change the "awaiting activation" sms that is sent soon after the modems are delivered so that it only mentions connecting the modems together and powering them up.

There are 2 ways that NBN FTTC can be installed, either through an approved NBN installer or self installation. This is determined based on the service class of your address.

If the order is for remote activation, like in your case, SMS and email notifications will be sent instructing to connect both the NCD and the modem to progress the order. However, since the attempt to remotely activate your service did not work due to unforeseen circumstance, TPG had to request a tech visit from NBN to complete the service activation.

Based on my understanding during the tech visit, the NBN connection box was not connected to the right phone wall socket. When you plug the NBN connection box on the right wall socket, the existing telephone service and alarm services if any will no longer work.

2. Change the FTTC Setup Guide so that the first three steps do NOT include connecting the NBN box to the telephone wall socket, and the Guide tells people what Shane told me in one of the posts above: that this last step should only be done after receiving an email notification confirming the installation date and timeframe, and also what he did not tell me but that people would probably be interested in knowing, that for a new FTTC connection a technician appointment WILL BE required "to install your NBN service," ie: to change over the wires in the pit.

Installation of NBN FTTC, like all other NBN technologies are classified in different categories of readiness to receive the service. Each address is classified by NBN Co, they are the ones who determine the type of technology to be used, if remote activation can be done, if added equipment needs to be sent out or if an onsite technician is required to complete the install. TPG sends out different types of automated and manual notifications via email, SMS or calls. These notifications contain instructions depending on NBN’s classification on how to activate the service, appointment schedules and what to expect during installation.

The inconvenience you have experienced over the installation of your service is definitely not something any provider would want on their customers. TPG is constantly working on improving customer experience and we thank you for your inputs which we have raised with our provisioning team. Please let us know if you would need further assistance.

- Angeli

Steve7
Level 4

I am not satisfied with this reply, but I will have to put off my detailed response until tomorrow.

For anyone interested, our (formerly) Telstra number was ported across by 11am this morning - virtually overnight. Not bad for "1 to 5 days".

Steve7
Level 4

Hi Angeli,

Here is my response to your post on 14-07-2021 04:30 PM:

First, I'm impressed by your large blocks of heavy black text ... no, not really. Adding weight to your fonts does not really add weight to your arguments.

"If the order is for remote activation, like in your case, SMS and email notifications will be sent instructing to connect both the NCD and the modem to progress the order".  This, like much of what TPG has said to me, is ambiguous or unclear. If you mean merely connecting the boxes together and powering them up, that makes perfect sense. If you mean also connecting the NBN box to the telephone wall socket while the phone still has dial tone, that makes no sense at all. I have tried to get TPG to be a bit clearer about what TPG actually mean in their communications to me, and in their information guides, and that is pretty much the basis of this entire thread, not any difficulties with the actual process of connection itself.

"However, since the attempt to remotely activate your service did not work due to unforeseen circumstance, TPG had to request a tech visit from NBN to complete the service activation."  Am I mistaken in believing that for a new FTTC connection, telephone wires that previously went from the premises all the way to the telephone exchange, have to be physically cut in a nearby pit and reterminated in an NBN data port in the pit, and that has to be done by an NBN technician who comes out for that purpose? How can that possibly happen "remotely"? Anyone who thinks that "unforeseen circumstances" have prevented "remote activation of the service" seems to me to be simply displaying a total lack of understanding as to how an FTTC connection works.

"Based on my understanding during the tech visit, the NBN connection box was not connected to the right phone wall socket." Who or what gave you that impression? There is only one telephone wall socket in our place. Up till the time the NBN technician came, the phone was still plugged in there, because as I've said before, why would I disconnect a working phone in order to connect an NBN box that has no hope of working until the NBN technician does the wiring changeover?

"When you plug the NBN connection box on the right wall socket, the existing telephone service and alarm services if any will no longer work." Yes, but if you do that before the wiring changeover, the NBN FTTC connection, as well as the existing telephone service, will not work, so why would any one do that? And why would TPG give anyone the impression that they should do that?

"Installation of NBN FTTC, like all other NBN technologies..."  Yes, I'm sure that there are a lot of complications behind the scenes that must be dealt with to make a new NBN connection work. Having that expertise is part of being a good ISP. But I wonder whether that expertise is a bit thinner on the ground than your customers would hope for. The bloke who rang me a day after the modems were delivered, to ask me if I "had connected yet", didn't change his tune when I said I still had dial tone. The lady who rang me a few days later, (I suspect when you arranged the NBN technician's visit), also wanted to know if I had connected. I was was the one who raised with her the fact that I still had dial tone. She did not seem to expect that, and I suspect she adjusted her spiel to suit. She certainly did not give me any specific relevant information such as "There is no need to disconnect your existing phone while you still have dial tone".

To skip ahead: "Please let us know if you would need further assistance."  I hope you are not trying to give the impression that I have needed any special assistance to get my connection going. I did the self-installation in the house, and the NBN technician did the changeover outside. The fact that he came inside the house to connect his circuit tracer to the phone socket, and he did give the modems a quick once-over, hardly counts as "assistance".

"we thank you for your inputs which we have raised with our provisioning team".  If your provisioning team are the people who perform the paperwork of setting up an account, arrange for the delivery of the modems, and the attendance of an NBN technician if required, then you are sending my inputs to the wrong place. Who is it that arranges the wording of the SMS's and emails you send, and the online guides you provide?

"TPG is constantly working on improving customer experience..."  I am pleased to hear it. That would mean that you would be quite willing to modify wording in your communications that gives your customers a wrong impression as to how a new FTTC connection will proceed. The things that I would have liked to see more clearly explained are:

* When you receive your modems, hook them up and power them up as per the Guide, but do not disconnect your existing phone while you still have dial tone.

* For a new FTTC connection, an NBN technician will be required to make a wiring changeover in a pit near your premises, and your existing phone will keep working (dial tone) until that happens.

I am pleased to have had this opportunity to help you clarify the information you supply to your new FTTC customers. If you need any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.