TPG Community

Get online support

Packet Loss and connection dropping

RyanJ
Level 3

Hi all, so I am getting large amounts of packet loss and frequent loss of connection. I have included the latest stats below. It has dropped out several times today. longest up time was about 6 hours and as little as 1hr.

Any help would be great

VDSL status.JPG

8 REPLIES 8
RyanJ
Level 3

Just by way of an update. Had another drop out after 23hrs of uptime. Again after only 9mins of uptime looks like some significant packet loss upon reconnection.

Ryan

RyanJ
Level 3

And another one. dropping out every 5 to 20 mins20200410 VDSL status 2.JPG

m_ntt
Level 2

It looks alot like a physical issue.

First thing you can do is to check and ensure the phone cable to modem are plug in properly (not loose, not wiggly) on the modem, and wall socket. 

Then ensure the least amount of power cable (the 230V, appliance , power board, power extention cable) run within 10cm of the phone line as possible.   AC power cable is a massive source of interference and would cause drop out.  If that is not at all possible, get sticky tape, and hang/divert the phone cable on the wall just to try and isolate the issue. 

RyanJ
Level 3

Thanks, m_ntt,

I agree and definitely think a physical issue is at play here. I have removed the phone cable and cleaned the contacts with alcohol at the wall and the modem side. I've plugged them back in making sure that there was no wobble or play in the connection.

The modem sits next to the wall socket so I have adjusted the orientation so that the phone cable goes one way and the power cable another to limit any interference. Let's see how that goes.

RyanJ
Level 3

The last two days have seen more dropouts. in some cases as frequently as every 3mins. At the moment has been stable for over 5 hours but the packet loss is over 600k. I have attached some more data regarding the line quality and error packets.

RyanJ
Level 3

Just an update. The situation continues with irregular dropouts. Attached images of DSL status

RyanJ
Level 3

Hi All,

Another update. TPG has escalated my case and would like a tech to 'investigate'. My ticket number is 10421423. That was yesterday morning. I am yet to get a callback which I was told I would also be yesterday.

Anyway. I have attached some more data. It shows uptime. Red is down Green is up. this is over the last ~2hrs

Ryan

RyanJ
Level 3
The was ultimately solved by both a port reset at tpg end. As well as a tech coming out and inspecting and reseating the copper wiring at the socket and the apartment building board.

Internet has been drop out free since.