TPG Community

Get online support

Patchy/slow connection

hollyr97
Level 2

Up until about 2 weeks ago, my internet connection was working fine. Suddenly, it's started dropping out every 10 minutes or so, and I have to restart my modem a few times a day to get it working again. My phone connection is also very poor, and I am getting a dial tone but it's very crackly.  This happened once before, about a year ago, and it turned out to be the line itself. A technician came around to look at the line and was able to fix it. Just wondering if I might be facing the same issue again and if someone could help me with it. Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
InfinityPlusTwo
Level 3

Hi @hollyr97

There can be a few things that can cause your connection to drop out. The most common are a:

• Faulty cable between modem and wall socket. If its a long cable, could it have been stepped on or crushed?
  • Faulty ADSL filter (the little white box about the size of a matchbox). If you look at the socket on the filter, the pins should look gold, if they are green then replace the filter. They are sold at JB Hifi, Officeworks and in some supermarkets
  • Faulty telephone socket. If you look at the pins in the socket they should look gold, if they are green then the socket is the problem and should be replaced
  • If you live in an apartment building then the cabling between your apartment and the main switchboard in the building could be a problem. Newer buildings are less likely to have issues then older buildings
  • It may also be the connection between TPG and your premises

If you have done your best to check everything in your house and it looks okay then I would recommend reaching out to the moderators here as they can run a test to let you know where they believe the issue is.

Hope this helps Smiley Happy

BasilDV

Good day @hollyr97,

Welcome to TPG Community!

I was able to pull up your account using your email address and was able to run some remote test. I was able to detect a possible fault on the line, but we would like to be sure if it's internal or external wiring issue for us to provide proper resolution.

I will arrange a call from our Tech team within the day using the phone numbers listed on the account. If you have any preferred time and a different number to be contacted, please shoot me a private message.

Kind regards,

BasilDV

Hi @hollyr97,

Our Tech team tried to contact you yesterday, but you were unreachable. Do you have any preferred time and number for them to try again? They need to perform some test to identify if the line fault is on your internal cabling or external cabling.

Please shoot us a message of the details.

Kind regards,

hollyr97
Level 2
Sorry about that, I was away from home yesterday.

I have some spare cables so I switched them around in a few different configurations in place of the current ones, and it didn’t seem to make any difference to either the speed of the internet or the crackling on the phone line.

If the tech team would still like to call me, I’m available after 5:30pm today on my mobile. Otherwise, any time after 10am over the weekend. Thanks for your prompt response!
BasilDV

Hi @hollyr97,

Thank you for your response. I will notify our Tech team to call you after 5:30 PM today to continue with the test for us to know if the issue is on the internal or external cabling.

Kind regards,

BasilDV

Hi @hollyr97,

I understand that our Tech team has been in touch and the issue was escalated to our Engineering team due to the evident fault on the line and for further investigation. Further updates will be given by them via SMS or call within 24 to 48 hours. Should you require any assistance, please let us know.

Thank you.