TPG Community

Get online support

Remote desktop connection drop in 5min when using home wireless broadband

kaijiun
Level 2

Hi,

I just received the home wireless broadband and tried to use remote desktop connection (with VPN) to work from home. It dropped out after 5 minutes, and sometimes takes a long while to reconnect.

There is no such issue when i switched back the fixed line broadband.

When the remote desktop connection drops, i still can browse the internet.

Did the speed test :

http://tpg.speedtestcustom.com/result/28bb6db0-0bb9-11ec-a811-6b01e092bacd

I have attached a screenshot where it fails to reconnect.

Please let me know which steps to take to make it work.

3 REPLIES 3
Shane

Hi @kaijiun,

Welcome to the community!

TPG Home broadband comes with CG-NAT. Carrier-grade NAT (Network Address Translation) is a type of network that assigns services with a private IP address, instead of a dynamic public IP address. Our network will then translate that private address into a public address. This means that the following items (which depend on internal NAT) will not work on Home Wireless Broadband:

• Port forwarding
  • Hosting web, email or file servers internally
  • Smart Home systems (e.g. accessing security camera footage remotely, home automation and printers)
  • Remote Access (i.e. accessing your home computer or devices from another location)

If you need any of these items in your home setup, Home Wireless Broadband won’t be the right fit for you.

We recommend to keep your existing to utilise these features.

For more details please check this article. Let me know should you require further assistance.

Regards

Hi,

I just received the home wireless broadband and tried to use remote desktop connection (with VPN) to work from home. It dropped out after 5 minutes, and sometimes takes a long while to reconnect.

There is no such issue when i switched back the fixed line broadband.

When the remote desktop connection drops, i still can browse the internet.

Did the speed test :

http://tpg.speedtestcustom.com/result/28bb6db0-0bb9-11ec-a811-6b01e092bacd

I have attached a screenshot where it fails to reconnect.

Please let me know which steps to take to make it work.

david64
Level 15

Hi @kaijiun . Is the wireless broadband your preferred choice rather than fixed line, even though fixed line looks to be more reliable? Is 5 minutes the longest that the RDC connection stays up?

Have you asked your computer section at work about the drop-outs?

When you work from home, you have to start the VPN connection first (Global VPN)?

Then you make an RDC connection to a work computer? Is that the AUYENL0040? So you are then using that computer as though you were at work?

When you get the RDC error, the Global VPN is saying still connected. At this point, you say you can still browse the internet. Are you doing that as though you are connected to work or doing it directly from your home computer.

You can go to www.whatismyip.com to see what ip address you are using. 

If you do that from your home computer without using VPN, you will get whatever temporary address is used by the wireless server; it may change each time you do it.

If you start the VPN and check ip address, you should see an address that belongs to your work. It will be an external ip address belonging to your work.

If you start RDC and check the ip address, same deal as the preceeding case.

kaijiun
Level 2

Hi David,

I had emails and calls about this new promotional offer, so I thought I can take it if there are savings in it.

Turned out to have problem like this.

I will most likely revert back to fixed line when my IT department can confirm this issue, before the trial ends.

The IP number are the same regardless i connect VPN or not

I just tried a website that can only be browse via VPN, and couldn't connect it when the RDC terminates. So definitely is a VPN problem.