TPG Community

Get online support

Repeated Internet Disconnection

deanmc16
Level 2

Good morning,

I have had repeated issues with loss of internet, especially over the past week. On the occasions when I have been home to check, the NBN box lights are healthy, wifi network is up but there is no internet. The modem has to be switched off and on again, then internet connection is restored.

The most recent instance was at 9:30am this morning, and it is occurring almost every day. TPG, can you please assist?

Regards,

Dean

3 REPLIES 3
BasilDV

Hi @deanmc16 

So you have an NBN NTD box, and since you said that it's healthy, then it means that the lights weren't flashing, etc. when the connection drops out.

Then it is possible that the modem/router is at fault. Aside from rebooting, you need to factory reset the modem/router as it resolves a number of cases by performing this.

Be advised that all of the settings you've personalised will go back to default, and will need to set again.

Once done, observe your connection and let us know how it goes.

BasilDV

deanmc16
Level 2

Hi @BasilDV ,

Thanks for your reply. I have tried the factory reset two days ago and so far have not had issues. However, I have decided to purchase a different router (TP-Link AX5400) to hopefully provide better reliability and coverage throughout the house. My understanding is that I can use the TP-Link AX5400 in place of the TP-Link VX220-G2v. Is that correct?

FYI I have a coaxial connection to an Arris NBN box and from there an Ethernet cable to the TP-Link VX220-G2v. My understanding is that I can power off and disconnect the VX220-G2v, then follow the instruction for HFC located here: https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Modems-and-Devices/NBN-Plans-with-BYO-modem-How-to-Connect-Using-you..., connect from my laptop to the router and apply the settings as listed for "nbn FTTC, HFC or Wireless" here: https://support.tpg.com.au/tpg-broadband-settings-list#toc_1.

Regards,

Dean

BasilDV

Hi @deanmc16 

We appreciate the update.

Yes, you can use a third party modem/router.

If you are in a bundled service (with VoIP), then you need to set the VLAN ID to 2, then proceed with the PPPoE settings with your TPG credentials.

If not, just disable or set the VLAN ID to 0.

Let us know how it goes.

BasilDV