Static IP on FTTN Residential

orbistat
Level 8

Hi @melissaf you mention that you administer websites, I would consider that as falling into the realm of business rather than personal, this is why there are different products and pricing. I have a home office but don’t have the need for a static iP, if I did, I’d consider the extra cost as a business expense.

melissaf
Level 2

Hi @orbistat,

I have been a TPG customer for 6 years, with a static IP included in my RESIDENTIAL ADSL plan. 

I am hurting right now because I'm in an 18 month contract for NBN, and did not realise that I would now need to pay way more per month for a static IP than I did on my RESIDENTIAL ADSL plan. 

Can you not see why previously loyal TPG customers are surprised about this reduction in service, especially if there are other ISPs including it, such as Exetel?

I will do my research and switch.

melissaf
Level 2

Above all, I stayed with TPG because I was previously very happy with the service and price. The price for ADSL + IP address in this case is $99. I can get the same product as the one that I've signed up for from TPG from Exetel for $60/month, which is $10/month less, and includes a Static IP.

If I hadn't been a loyal customer, I would have just gone with Exetel. Lesson learned.

Nobby
Level 3

loyalty means nothing to ISP's these days, back in dialup days it did, even at start of ADSL1, but as they grew, loyalty meant less and less until it meant no more.

Indeed you are right when you say TPG's competitors offer as much data and static IP for same or in many cases less.

Also to those who think they know it all, many people administer websites for charities, think RSPCA, Lifeline, Kids helpline and so on, are you seriously going to sit on your trolling arse and tell us to get a business account ?  Some people have absolutely no idea.

I will be resisiting this clusterf... of a joke NBN move for as long as possible, until final few weeks before the POTS exchange segment is deactivated, and if TPG have not woken up by then, I already know which of their competitors  I *will* be switching to.

...I'm not going to pay 10 bux more a month for slower speeds and less services than DSL currently gives me (and thats just for residential plan)

dracupg
Level 2

I would just like to add my experience with moving from a Fixed IP on ADSL to Dynamic IP on FTTN.
1. I use OpenDNS for network wide content filtering and the settings need to be updated every time the IP address changes. Sometimes this does not work as the new IP address may already be registered on the OpenDNS database and there can be a long delay getting it reallocated. I have found it easier just rebooting my router multiple times until I get an IP that hasn't been previously used on the OpenDNS database. Frustrating.
2. Keeping OpenDNS (and other IP addressed based services) updated automatically requires running a client like ddclient. This needs to be running on an "always on" computer, which isn’t usual in a normal family home type environment. Even when this does work, there is a delay as the client will only check once every hour maybe, so the filtering is effectively off during this time.
3. It is common to pick up a new IP address that is appears on one or more Blacklisted databases, causing issues with email and requiring manual removal.

Anyway, I hope that fixed IP addresses will soon be available on the residential plans.

grs1961
Level 3

1 - If you use OpenDNS you might want to look at DNS-O-Matic (https://www.dnsomatic.com/), it automates the updates.

2 - You can set ddclient (and others) to query every 10 minutes (daemon=600), and if you query the OpenDNS servers for "myip.opendns.com" it's very quick (e.g. "/sbin/dig @208.67.222.222 myip.opendns.com +short").

3 - I haven't picked up a black-listed address yet, but I do route outgoing emails via TPG's servers, and use SSL handshake for email to avoid rate limiting.

4 - Most of the modems around these days have Dynamic DNS built in, frex the Huawei HG659 has DynDNS.org and No-IP.com built-in (under Internet->Internet Services).

Yes, losing the static IP was a bit annoying, but if you set up your MX records correctly you won't lose any mail, and any other access you need can wait ten minutes to start working again.

Nobby
Level 3

" and any other access you need can wait ten minutes to start working again."

wrong

In the real world, most real firewalls require IP addresses, since its harder to spoof than a A record

think cisco/juniper routers/switches  ACL's for starters.

grs1961
Level 3

"In the real world, most real firewalls require IP addresses, since its harder to spoof than a A record

think cisco/juniper routers/switches ACL's for starters."

In that real world you should be running on a Business plan, which does come with a static IP.

This is about Residential plans.

Nobby
Level 3

thats right we are talking a bout residential plans, the same plans i'm on right now and have been for near a decade at home that I have not been told to go pay 10 or 20 bux more a month for a business plan just to have a static IP, teh same plans I dont pay ANY extra for right now, nor have I ever (nor - will I ever!)

so you are going to try tell every person who needs AH access, like a system admin who works for a company, that to be on call and have emergency after hours access to their employers network, they need to be on a business plan?  your a delusional fool,  whats your tpg employee number?

Oh and since your clearly a clueless n00b, plenty of other access out there only work by IP sicne again DNS can be faked with no effort

grs1961
Level 3

Haha, are you the same "Nobby" who's been trolling in aus.* for the last couple of decades???

And why would I, or any BOFH, need a static IP to connect to something?

Ah, I must be hallucinating that the laptop there is connected to my employer's network (working from home today), which is not TPG.  (TPG haven't been able to afford me since long before they were "Total Peripherals Group" and bringing in container loads of cheap components back in the 1980s.)

And if someone fiddles the BGP, IP addresses don't guarantee a thing, either.