TPG NBN dropouts

bazmick
Level 2

Same here, I got "connected" 15 months and still have regular dropouts (FTTN about 900m from the Node). Most of my dropouts occur during peak usage times, every morning at 7am within +/- 5mins I can almost guarantee the connection will dropout and same again in the evening as people get home from their day. It'll dropout when its raining, when it's too hot, when it's too cold, if a kookaburra laughs.

I tried to lodge complaints in the 1st 3 months and had the local TPG Technician (he was very, very good I have to say) out twice who found a few faults that the NBN Technician (who was not very good) made when installing the connection. None of which had any impact on the dropouts or speed. I'm on NBN50 and I barely see speed test results above 24Mbps. The modem supplied was a cheap Archer model that wouldn't allow communication between WiFi and LAN devices and also had ports that wouldn't open despite having enabled them in the Web Interface! Complaining about dropouts never yeilded results but complaining about speed made the TPG Customer Service jump! So after making constant complaints about the slow speed the NBN actually rang me and told me they'd measured my download speed and clocked it at an average 33Mbps which was above the minimum standard as set by the big wigs and so case closed and please don't bother again. So they're saying that supplying a product at only 66% is perfectly acceptable? Just imagine how the other parts of our lives would be like only receiving 2/3rds of the products/services we buy? "Daddy? Why does my teddy bear look different?", "Because it has no head darling?". "Why Daddy?", "Because some big wig decided you don't need a teddy bear that is 100% because all you're going to do with it is play games and talk with it, the big wigs have their heads stuck up their own 'proverbials'. Maybe that's where teddy's head is!?"... Child turns teddy bear over and spreads its legs. "Facepalm!"

Seriously though I don't blame TPG for my internet connection issues but they are not blameless. They are NBN's customer and should behave as such. NBN Co. is a utility service that should have backup plans should some of their services fail but that's never going to happen when 66% is good enough.

That's my rant about my NBN connection, sorry for sharing and boring you if you've read this far.

Shane

Hi @bazmick,

Welcome to the community and bringing this to our attention.

Devices connected by Wi-Fi may experience slower speeds than those connected by Ethernet cable.

We'd like to confirm what device(s) is affected with the connection dropouts.

We usually inform our customers on a FTTB, FTTN and FTTC NBN Plan with the maximum line sync speed of their service and If you are on a higher speed NBN plan, you have the option to downgrade to a lower speed plan without any penalties. For Fixed Wireless customers, your user experience could also vary due to congestion and fixed wireless network limitations.

Do you still experience dropouts and slow connection?

Cheers!

bazmick
Level 2

G'day Shane,

All devices experience the internet connection dropouts (Tablets, Smartphones, PC's, Media Server, etc). I have tried different modems and get the same internet connection dropouts. Dropouts will generally last at minimum 20-30mins and at least 5-10 times a day. EVERYDAY.

Yes, TPG offered me to go to a lower speed plan but the next speed plan was NBN12 which I was not happy to change to. If TPG had have kept the NBN25 plan that was available initially I would have considered.

Luckily I have a very good mobile phone data plan that I can rely on so I don't need to see my daughter's bottom lip for too long when her Peppa Pig episode suddenly gets the spinning wheel of internet death.

I've realised from last time there's nothing much TPG can do about mine and other's dropouts other than fire a rocket up NBN Co's proverbial but this seems to fall on deaf ears as it appears to me that NBN Co are a law unto them themselves.

Cheers!

Shane

Thanks for the additional details @bazmick,

To better understand the situation and identify what causing dropouts and slow connection with the service. We'd like to get your account details (Username/Customer ID together with the address on file).

cheers!

bazmick
Level 2

G'day Shane,

My TPG ID is XXXXX but for my address you can email me at XXXXX

Cheers

Riezl

Hi @bazmick, we have edited your comment for security purposes.

We have located the account using the details you have provided and we can really see an indication that the connection is dropping out.

We'd like to eliminate any possible modem issue. Can you provide us the make and model of the modem? How long have you been using this?